How do you deal with cranky children after school?

My son comes home from school and is awefully cranky. I was wondering if anyone else is dealing with this and what do you do about it?

mandynjohnsmom

Asked by mandynjohnsmom at 1:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Is he getting enough sleep at night? I would consider letting him lay on the couch with a cartoon for half and hour before homework....also is he getting good quality food? I think the kinds of stuff they serve at school are based on cost rather than what is good for our kids.....try cutting out anything that comes in a package, especially anything with corn syrup in it....not only is that stuff addicting, it causes glucose spikes followed by sleepiness...plenty of fresh air and sunshine that isn't structured is important, too.
    Anna92464

Answer by Anna92464 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• o boy, i thought my son was the only one! i give him a little bit of time to relax before he can do his homework, and then he has to do his homework. i always remind him that mean and nasty little boys don't get any dessert or to look at tv....that always helps lol. but i think letting him relax and unwind for a while helps too.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Agh yes, my 8 y/o dau can be quite the pistol herself. Let them vent if they've had a rough day. Let them have a little play time, & a snack before even approaching homework. If your loads of patience isnt quite enough, let them know that we all have bad days, but it does not give them permission to take it out on us. Venting is one thing, showing disrespect is another.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I give him some down time to decompress from school, a snack and, if he needs/wants it, a nap. After he's had at least 30 minutes to rest & eat, he's fine.
    mom2aspclboy

Answer by mom2aspclboy at 1:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I have kids ages 9,7 and 5 and they come home hyper. They empty backpacks and lunchs and get a snack. If weather is nice they go outside to run for awhile. If cold they just play wii or just playing keeps them active and they seem to calm done by dinner. They sit so long at school they just want to be active when they come home. Our girls when wait till have dinner to do homework and clothes and lunchs. Playing gives them time to work their engery out and by after dinner ready to think about school the next day.
    momindiana

Answer by momindiana at 1:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I make them take a nap.  If they come home consistantly cranky they we change their bedtime because they are obviously not getting enough sleep.

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 10:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Let them relax for a bit -- snack, lounge on the couch, until they can be normal again. You can even tell them to stay in their room (no games or tv or anything) until they're ready to come out and be normal. They're probably just tired.
    Pnukey

Answer by Pnukey at 10:12 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• make them set or take a nap
    sweethonesty520

Answer by sweethonesty520 at 9:49 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Totally normal. Sometimes my son would come home and crash. School is a big adjustment.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:24 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Thanks everyone, I have put him to bed a hour earlier at night and we do home work after dinner. Both of these seem to be helping.
    mandynjohnsmom

Comment by mandynjohnsmom (original poster) at 2:58 PM on Oct. 22, 2010