whats so bad about...

warming formula bottles in microwave i did it with my son and now with my daughter and i also did it in the daycare i worked in. i always shake it to get rid of hot spots.

Tiffany_Rivera_

Asked by Tiffany_Rivera_ at 1:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• For one, the hot spots, as you mentioned. For two, the chemicals in plastic can leach out into the formula when being microwaved. That is why I didn't microwave my daughter's bottles. If you have BPA free bottles, or glass, then it isn't really a concern I suppose.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 1:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Just the hot spots alone are enough to make sure I didn't do it. Microwaves heat so much faster and hotter I just never thought it was worth the risk. Then there is the BPA issue mentioned above.
    wildflowers25

Answer by wildflowers25 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I used a bottle warmer when we were using formula, but once my son switched to milk, I started using the microwave (he likes warm milk before bed time). The bottles we used were BPA free, and when you shake it after heating, the hot spots aren't an issue, so it worked for me!
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 1:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I never even heat my bottles at all. I just keep the nursery water at room temp so when he gets hungry I throw in the formula, swirl it, and it's ready. Most bottles are BPA free, so that shouldn't be a problem.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 1:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Not sure about formula, but I know that the microwave breaks down stuff in breast milk.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2010