Can you give your 3 1/2 year old medicine for a snotty nose?

Our son will be 4 in February. He constantly has a runny nose...The ped. will not give him an antibiotic. Is there something over the counter that I can use to help clear it up? He seriously has had a snotty nose since the beginning of September with maybe one week of it being cleared up.

BWIND

Asked by BWIND at 1:15 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• it sounds like allergies. children's claratin is for ages 2 and up....you could try that. it worked for my son better than the prescription allergy meds. from the dr.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• just use saline n suction
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I agree try allergy medication. Otherwise no cold medicines under 6 years old.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 1:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Zyrtec liquid for children 2 and up. My Son started using it at 3 1/2 and it works great! It doesn't speed him out or make him drowsy, just eliminates the runny nose caused by seasonal allergies.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 1:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Yep, he's on his 2nd set of tubes and his ENT things allergies...but he's on a singulair tablet and nasonex nasal spray daily...I don't think either are helping. Plus, this time it is yucky and kinda green.
    BWIND

Comment by BWIND (original poster) at 1:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Yes I agree my son takes claratin it workes for him.
    ortega3

Answer by ortega3 at 1:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• yeah, my son was on a nasal spray at first and it didn't help at all. it just gave him nosebleeds. so i tried the claratin and that works great for us. i would just try switching medicines because some work better than others for certain people.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• we have used children claritin 2 and up
    charliesmom777

Answer by charliesmom777 at 11:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• if it's clear it could be allergies but if its green its def. not allergies. ask a pharmacist which over the counter product would be the best for him.
    Ladyblue38

Answer by Ladyblue38 at 8:42 AM on Oct. 21, 2010