Sex ed...

At what point in your childs education do you feel they should start getting sex ed and what do you think should be taught?

Asked by SabrinaMBowen at 8:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• I, personally, feel that sex ed should start young, like Kindergarden or first grade with the good and bad touches type of approach. However once the kids hit middle school they need to be taught not only what sex is and how it is done but the options to do it safely and the consiquenses. I also feel that condoms should NOT be the only form of BC taught... There are many effective methods and they should all be shown and "picked apart" showing pros and cons of each...

When I was in school we were taught about condoms, show an actual birth and taught a little about STDs but not nearly enough!

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Personally I think, that whatever is taught, should be taught at home and not in schools. I homeschool now, but I can tell you that even if I left my kids in PS, I would have signed the wavier saying that I didn't want them in the classes. I would do the same if it was private school. I don't know, I've just have always had a strong feeling that it is something that should be taught at home. As far was what should be taught and when it should be taught, I think that's up to the parent and it's dependent on the child. more next post
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:15 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• continue: My kids are still young 6 and 7: They already know that everyone has private parts and NO ONE, including mommy and daddy are to touch or see those parts, but at the same time they have no issues with me being in the bathroom with them when they are bathing because I still help them wash their hair. I wash the hair and I leave that's it! They know that girls have a vagina and boys have a penis. They know that girls have eggs and boys have sperm. They know that in order for there to be a baby there needs to be sperm for the daddy, and a egg from a mommy. Oh and they know that the sperm ends up inside the mommy, because that's were babies are. They know the baby is either pushed out the vagina or the mommy has a c-section. (That's when the Dr cuts the mommy's tummy to pull the baby out). As for HOW the sperm get's inside the mommy they are clueless!!! more next post
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 10:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• continue They don't know that and I don't feel they will know that anytime soon. I know what they know makes some of my family member squarish, but they are my kids and they are going to know what I feel is important for them to know, when I feel it's important for them to know it.

Sorry for the long post.
    SAHMinIL

• I agree with the first, although the graphic pics of the diseases just gross you out. They did that at my school, seperated the girls and guys and said this is what this looks like, showing us actual pics of the diseases, then fed us lunch (lol) but they really didnt go into detail about the different B.C. I do think they should learn whats right and wrong touch wise early so if its happening to them then they will say something then and not be afraid. I didnt know that what happened to me was wrong, i thought it happened to everyone. Yes i was molested by a family member.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 4:28 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I was not molested but I lost my virginity at 11... Prior to that we all took the neighbors porn and watched it when my friends mom was out... There was very little sex ed for us and none of our parents did it. My mom did the "the boys pee pee goes inside the girls pee pee" but that was it... There was no descussion of "Safe sex" or condoms or anything because my mother said we weren't allowed to do it... Yeah, that worked!?! I was lucky, I never ended up with any stds but I could have... I didn't know how to prevent them, didn't know you could get them from oral sex and didn't know how to protect against them or pregnancy... I plan on educating my kids but I'm not sure I'll be up on all the current STDs by that point and such. I think Sex ed is a great thing and EVERY child should have to go through it.

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 9:39 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• SAHMinIL- Although I think it's great that you are educating your kids I think you are not the norm... Most kids that age wouldn't have half the clue you are talking about... Sex ed is a must in schools for the simple reason that most parents don't do it! And frankly if just one partner is clueless both are at more risk...

• That leaves the question: Do parents NOT do it, because the SCHOOL does DO it?? As I said, my kids know a lot of things on the subject of sexuality and male vs. female body parts. Perhaps they know more then most kids their age. However, what they know is what I've taught them. The major issue I have with sex ed via the school system is, in my opinion, they are pro-pre-material sex. Which is NOT what I want my kids to be taught!
    SAHMinIL

Answer by SAHMinIL at 12:28 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Yes, I'm a very strong on abstinence, and the importance of being married first. What little bit my kids know they will also tell you that a Mommy and Daddy need to be married first.... As I said my kids do NOT know HOW the sperm ends up inside the woman they just know is where it ends up, and because the sperm is inside the mommy with the mommy's egg. They know the egg and sperm (with God's help) join together a baby is made. I don't think it's unrealistic for children to practice abstinence: My first time was my wedding night; same with DH.
    SAHMinIL

• I don't think that parents don't do it because the school does... My mother wouldn't have done it either way. Her atitude was you don't need to know if you aren't doing it and she figured we wouldn't do it till we were married... I know a lot of parents that didn't do it just because "kid's don't need to know that stuff"...

I'm not cutting on what you do with your kids but I think you are the minority by far! Personally I will NOT teach abstanince. I think it's wrong. I think life is about variety and enjoyment! I surely didn't wait and hope my kids don't! I don't believe in cheating or divorce so once you are married that's it... SO I teach safety and not abstanance...

Answer by SabrinaMBowen at 7:32 PM on Oct. 30, 2008