Substitutes for tomato based ingredients?

Is there any substitute that can be used in place of tomato based ingredients? My SO can't have tomato based ingredients and I can't believe how many recipes sound so good but I can't make them for that reason.

I'm no cook (but starting to try more) so I'm clueless here.

firenicecream

Asked by firenicecream at 1:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• For pastas - try alfredo, pesto, I saw a sauce on Lidia's Italy (PBS Create) once that was made from cream & spices, and had meat in it - not really an alfredo but she said it was a good option for those who can't have tomato-based sauces - I wish I could remember what else she used!

For soups - chili, you can make white chili, chicken/beef/vegetable stocks with thickeners (cornstarch).
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:28 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• White sauce maybe? A sauce made with cheeses.
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 1:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• well it depends on why the tomato sauce is there to begin with i guess lol. if it's just a little you might substitute chicken or beef base, but idk what you could use for something mainly made from tomatoes (like pasta sauce or chili....). but if it's something that only calls for a small amount of tomatoes or tomato paste i would use the base instead.
    princessbeth79

Answer by princessbeth79 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• If he cant hav the tomato-based things based on heartburn or acid reflux, try a little sugar in the sauce to neutralize the acid. If it's for other reasons, Rachel Ray's web site is a great resource for all types of cooking ideas. Good luck.
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• idk but maybe try google
    good luck!
    san78

Answer by san78 at 1:26 PM on Oct. 20, 2010