AT WHAT AGE IS IT MOST APPROPRIATE TO BEGIN POTTY TRAINING ON A BOY?

I'M DEBATING ON IF I SHOULD POTTY TRIN MY SON BASED ON AGE OR IF I SHOULD WAIT TILL HE ACTUALLY UNDERSTANDS THE CONCEPT OF THE POTTY.

Mommy2Jordan

Asked by Mommy2Jordan at 4:41 PM on Jul. 3, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I STARTED TO POTTY TRAIN MY DAUGHTER WHEN SHE WAS A YEAR AND A HALF. (SHE WILL BE 32 THIS MONTH) BUT SHE IS A GIRL AND IT WAS PRETTY EASY FOR A GIRL. DO YOU HAVE A DADDY IN THE PICTURE? IF SO, HE SHOULD DO THE POTTY TRAINING. SINCE HE HAS THE RIGHT EQUIPMENT.
    Anonymous

• wait till he understands the concept. I let my daughter go into the bathroom with me so she understands what to do. She has only went once herself but we talk about it. She knows what's supposed to happen just not why!
    akitanay

Answer by akitanay at 5:08 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• Definitely wait... if you're not sure if he's ready, then he's not. It will be SO MUCH easier if you wait. You could buy a potty & let him practice sitting on it (with clothes) while you're going potty on the adult toilet... and maybe buy him some PT books or videos. But don't start making him pee on the toilet until he gets it.
    crazysocks830

Answer by crazysocks830 at 5:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• 12 months i started and he was potty trained quick i got the royal potty put it on him after a nap and right when he first woke up and i had a toy box next to him
    Patience1

Answer by Patience1 at 7:12 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• my children started at 1 1/2 yrs of age the sooner the better
    smiley_36

Answer by smiley_36 at 7:24 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• We started at 23 months. In a week and a half, he'll be 25 months old and he's pretty much got it down now. If I were you, I'd just watch for his interest to peek, I was just so afraid that if I didn't do it now, I would miss the window of opportunity. I have friends that missed the time when their son was interested, and now they are having quite a time trying to train him.

We had bought the potty chair close to a year ago though, and had been letting him sit on it clothed, then moved to taking his diaper off and letting him sit on it whenever he wanted to, the progressed from there. Best of luck to you guys!
    Miracle_pg

Answer by Miracle_pg at 11:01 PM on Jul. 3, 2008

• The best way to decide is to start putting him on the potty first thing in the morning. If he goes, you make a big deal of it & he is pleased than he is ready. If he doesn't seem to have a clue you can drop it & try again in a few months. It rarely works before the first birthday but most kids are ready to start before their second.
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 12:04 AM on Jul. 4, 2008

• With my oldest son (10 years old now) started going to the bathroom with dad. We had a stool next to the big potty so he could stand on and be just like dad. After that he took off his diaper to start going.
    tazzyt19

Answer by tazzyt19 at 1:55 AM on Jul. 4, 2008