My children want to call their stepfather dad....

I recently remarried. My children are 9 and 6. They want to call their stepfather dad. My daughter asked me if they talk about "dad", how are we going to know which "dad" they are talking about. The see their biological dad on a regular basis and he is very much apart of their lives. I suggested that they could call their stepfather dad and their biological father daddy if they would like. Any suggestions?????

seekingadvic740

Asked by seekingadvic740 at 1:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I think that is a great idea!!!

Answer by older at 1:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I'm not really sure bout this one. My husband only sees his son every other weekend or during sports events that he has. He's always saying "my Dad" when referring to his stepfather. I know this is natural. This does not really upset me, although it does upset my husband. But there have been a few instances when step son is talking about stepfather and we get totally confused.
    Same note - my stepson now calls me "Mom", although I'm sure he's VERY careful NOT to say that in front of his "real" Mom... sh*t would hit the fan.
    MrsDAP

Answer by MrsDAP at 1:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• If they have a good relationship with their biological dad, then I think you should include him in on the decision. I don't think I'd like my son calling another woman mommy... So just kind of talk it over with your children, their bio-dad, and stepdad to decide what would be best for you guys.
    EverydayMomma

Answer by EverydayMomma at 1:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My sons dad, my ex husband, is daddy and my husband is dad. It's what my son choose and he's 6, Dad is here 24/7 while daddy is here for a weekend every 3-4 months and rarely calls. So if thats what you kids want I'd respect them and say it's absolutely fine to do, that's great that they have a good relationship with your husband and see him as dad!
    Mom2Jack04

Answer by Mom2Jack04 at 1:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• How sweet that they think enough of your current spouse to want to call him dad. How about calling him "daddy -then his name" ? (example- Daddy Jim) A lot of kids differentiate their grandparents this way, so why not apply it here. Sounds like one big happy family! Way to go :)
    mrsmom110

Answer by mrsmom110 at 1:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I also think that is a great idea.
    mandynjohnsmom

Answer by mandynjohnsmom at 1:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• What about Papa for stepdad and Dad or Daddy for bio dad? My daycare kids call our daycare lady's husband Papa and my husband is Daddy.
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 1:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• my son never ses his dad, spo my DH and father of my other 4 kids, has always been dad they should do what makes them happy and comfortab;e
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 2:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My children call their stepfather dad and their real father by his first name (only because he is not in their life and has deleted them completely)...as far as dad and daddy great idea!
    4_28_bbboy

Answer by 4_28_bbboy at 10:10 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• well them let them
    kileighsmommie

Answer by kileighsmommie at 12:32 AM on Oct. 21, 2010