when was the last time??

you went to a food shelve or food pantry?? And were you embarassed? Afraid someone might see you? I am just asking because I saw a question about a food drive and I have points to use up. Be honest--- I will go first--- I want a few times a little over a year ago-yes I was embarassed, Yes I was scared someone would see me--and they did---my ex that never pays child support, I knew he went all the time but I thought I would get there when it would open and not see him but I did, I wanted to leave but I needed it.

blue_glass_mama

Asked by blue_glass_mama at 1:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• I was pretty young, maybe 10? There is no shame in getting the help you need, you know?
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 1:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i went a few yearrs ago. no shame! they are here for those in need and I was in need. Very thankful for what they gave me and since then I donate to that pantry every once in a while
    Owl_Feather

Answer by Owl_Feather at 1:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I have never been as an adult. However, when my ex and I split up, I had to get help for Christmas for my son that year. I was really really embarassed, and praying that no one would see me. They offered me a food basket, and I told them I did not need the food, I had that covered, just could not afford the extra money for toys.
    mommy11260

Answer by mommy11260 at 1:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I went many years ago.......I was single and just out of a relationship after 7 yrs. and without his money too it was tight.

This is why I GIVE back now and teaching my son to ALWAYS GIVE as there may be a time, God forbid that YOU may need a bit of help with something for a time or two and others could use it if you have it to give!

Nothing to be embarassed about at all. Like food stamps.......never say never cause you might just need them when there is NEVER enough money for food!
    LilyPondOasis

Answer by LilyPondOasis at 2:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I never have but when I was little I went with my grandma to help hand out food :)
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 2:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I had to use one about 9-10 years ago when I FIRST left my ex. I had no job, no job SKILLS, no education, and no money. He was refusing to send home money for mine and the kids' support while he was in the service (one of the reasons I was leaving!) and I was borrowing money from my grandmother to pay bills.

I was utterly HUMILIATED that I had to do this, mainly because it was my own poor choices that led up to it.

But I'd suck it up and go again in a heartbeat if it meant my kids didn't go to bed hungry.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I never have, and don't remember my folks going, but we have received boxes a few times, both when I was younger and a couple years ago. We only have 1 food pantry in our county, so it's not like it's easy to just pop in if we're desperate. And the times we did receive stuff we hadn't asked, we had been chosen by whatever group to get it and they dropped it off with no warning. We honestly never needed it that bad either, and I felt bad getting it everytime but they wouldn't give it to anyone else.
    4time-mom

Answer by 4time-mom at 10:25 AM on Oct. 21, 2010