i am an expecting mom an i'm scared of childbirth . Can anyone help?

i need advice on how to handle the pain and what to expect. advice on childbirth please.

Asked by newmommy2908 at 2:59 AM on Jun. 19, 2008 in Pregnancy

• Well, I'm no psychologist, but I have always had a big interest in childbirth and pregnancy. I think the first thing you need to do is figure out what about it scares you. Are yuo afraid of the pain? Are you afraid you might die? Are you afraid you won't "do it right?" What is it about it that scares you? If you want, you can PM me, and I can talk to you about it a lil more :)

Answer by hstansbury17 at 3:04 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Just breathe. Its not near as bad as the horror stories you hear. My epi wore off at 9cm and I was scared to death that a natural child birth was going to be horrible, it really wasn't bad and it was over before I kenw it. I only pushed for 12 minutes and the worst pain was about 2 minutes long at the very end. Honestly the worst thing about child birth was the cathetar, I probably could've gone wihtout any kind of drugs had I not had back labor. Just think as positively as you can and reasearch as much as you can. Take classes, talk to women who have had babies both with meds and without, and talk to women who had normal child births...not just the ones with the horrible war stories.

Answer by HeatherTurner at 3:19 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Oh honey, I don't think there's a woman who has given birth that wasn't scared. Just keep reminding yourself that millions of women have done it since the beginning of time. You are a strong woman, otherwise, the Lord wouldn't have entrusted you with that little baby!! =) Try some birthing classes if you can. They will help you learn how to handle everything and stay calm when the big day comes!

Answer by Anonymous at 9:08 AM on Jun. 19, 2008

• Join a bunch of pregnancy groups, birhting classes, books, and buy movies. It's a hard process (having a baby) but it's worth it and it's so much fun and exciting having a baby. If labor was as bad as you think why would women continue having more babies? It's a normal process, your body knows what to do and your stronger then you think! Trust me it's pain for a little while and a blessing forever! I went to my library and got a bunch of VHS's and DVD's and the best thing was the "birth is normal" group here on cafemom which gave me a bunch of sites, books, and info. It's a great experience if you let it be.

Answer by Mrs.Wills at 3:28 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• If you think about it, fear is a logical response. I was so scared with my first. Try reading the Girlfriend's Guide to Pregnancy it will lend a little humor to the situation. Another thing that really helped me was getting a support person. By support person I don't just mean my partner, he was great but he was scared too. I mean someone who has had children, preferably someone who has attended other births. That made a huge difference. Just keep in mind that hundreds of women give birth every day. It is something our bodies are built to do. Also try to keep busy, don't just sit around and worry. If you need someone to talk to you can message me.

Answer by firstimemom4049 at 7:37 PM on Jun. 19, 2008

• i know what you are going throw i an a little sceard my self and i am a little late to take classes. So i spoke to my cousends wife who just had her daughter and she was a natural burth, i leard a lot. she told me the worst part was worring and being sceard of not being able to push that beutful little life in to this world. I also have my grandmother who has had five children she told me from her own experance that she was happy after each birth and that the first ones are the ones are the scearest because of the worrie and lack of knowing. I my self hope this delivery is as blesed aas her's: this is my first too

Answer by msnider07 at 11:51 PM on Jul. 16, 2008