constipation...

any tips for relieving constipation in a 2 month old. i heard apple and prune juice work but is it ok to feed to him so early?

ilovephoenix123

Asked by ilovephoenix123 at 9:21 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• karo syrup just a little bit to coat bottom of bottle works great Grandma tought me this dark karo that is
    Anonymous

• yeah apple and prune juice is okay. but u dnt give them alot. about an ounce. mixed with a lil water.
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 10:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• make sure that its constipation.. constipation is when the poop is glob like.. if there is no poop he/she is not constipated, just means their body doesnt need to go, and this usually happens between 6weeks and 4 months.. if they go more than 7 days and not go, then call the doctor. I was told to give juice etc, by everyone and their mother, but I didnt do that, all that he needed was time, and once in a blue moon i will do the rectal thermometer trick and that works wonders. I dont want to introduce anything to my son just yet.. whats fine for others might not be fine for him. Also, just a bit of plain warm water will help. They are learning how to bare down, gotta let nature take its course.
    sweetscrappin

Answer by sweetscrappin at 10:49 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i tried the "bicycle" method (taking her feet and simulating her riding a bike), that didn't seem to help, so i tried a warm bath with lavender bedtime wash, followed by a massage with the bedtime lotion, and a bottle with a little karo syrup. she slept great & the next morning it came out without a struggle! just remember, when you massage your baby, it does help to lightly massage their lower abdomen, it helps stimulate a bowel movement.
    baileysmama0808

Answer by baileysmama0808 at 12:26 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• omg my 3 month old seems like she has been constipated since birth. when i took her to the doctor for her 2 month shots i asked him what i could do because the karo was not helping and i though it would be to early for her to have juice. He told me to give her 2 to four oz of juice apple or whatever and it should help and he also gave me a laxitive called sorbitol for her well i did both one day and within a 3 hours she had pooped ALL over me and it was like water (sorry if that is TMI) anyway i have to give her about a quarter of a teaspoon of the medicine every other day or so to keep her regular..if you are formula feeding he also said to try the nestle goodstart formula with whey instead of milk or soy. I hope your baby gets regular soon!
    burtney0921

Answer by burtney0921 at 1:30 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Be VERY careful with Karo Syrup. It can contain botulism spores which is deadly in infants. Karo advises against using its product in infants. The possibility of death is never worth the chance. There are so many other methods please use and look into those first. A small bit of warm water at a young age is what is initially recommended for constipation.

Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 9:53 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• i know this sounds horrible...but when i used to take my daughters rectal temp...she pooped...maybe "take her temp"
    Anonymous

Answer by Anonymous at 11:28 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• lol... taking the temp works... it'll make em toot too!! Warm bath, PEAR juice is softer, mix it 50/50 water juice. :)
    ZoeKatsMom

Answer by ZoeKatsMom at 12:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• my 7 week old poops like every other day but when he goes a little past 2 days i give him like an oz or 2 of apple juice and he poops in 30 mins. Its fine the doctor told me to do it.
    jiniphur

Answer by jiniphur at 12:47 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Ditto on the karo syrup, it is dangerous, as is honey for the same reason. I also take my babys temp rectally when he isnt pooping. Put some vasiline on the themometor, and take a temp like you would normally (you can even gently move it around a little) than slowly remove it, and watch out lol. I dont do this real offten though as I worry it may "teach" them to not poop on there own
    Med109

Answer by Med109 at 12:11 AM on Oct. 30, 2008