18 mos...is this normal?

Our little girl is growing at a healthy rate..she's saying lots of different words I can't complain about much exept her eating habits...I was wondering if anyone else's child does this...
when i give her foods that she normally likes and spits it out and then she picks it up and eats it the 2nd time. I'll give her a piece of chicken and scrambled eggs that she normally loves & she spits it out on the floor/in her chair & its starting to frustrate me. I am constantly picking up after her & i hold my hand my her mouth to make sure i catch whatever she spits out. I've tried saying no & i try not to show my frustration..will this last? Its rediculous I am starting to not enjoy feeding my child at the dinner table because its more of a chore how sad is that? I let her Daddy takeover sometimes now..lol(& yes i make sure she eats enough) i am just wondering if this is normal at their age?...

AlexxasMama

Asked by AlexxasMama at 1:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Toddlers (1-2)

• Oh very much so. They go through stages of playing with their food. It's nothing to get frustrated about. You are now simply seeing that your child is a normal child. Rest assured though, she will eat when she is hungry.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:51 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I haven't had that exact issue, but my son (21 mos old) has had a few odd eating phases. The latest one is that he will eat a meal, but hold the last bite in his mouth. Sometimes we don't realize it until HOURS later. It is ridiculous and gross. He is also suddenly picky about the texture of his food, but I think he is teething with molars so I can't really blame him for not wanting hard or crunchy food right now. The best we can hope for is that it passes quickly - he is generally a good eater and a very good kid. I guess even good kids have to go through their silly phases :) Good luck mama!
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 1:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My son does the same thing. He used to be a very healthy eater and now he won't eat much that I feed him, he chews one or twice and spits it out. He eats anything his dad, grandma or babysitter give him though.
    MomMom23

Answer by MomMom23 at 2:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• you could purchase these little floor protectors, I got one that was sesame street from babies r us. It's plastic, you put it under their chair so that everything that spills on the floor lands on that. You just pick it up after they eat and dump it in the trash, then wipe it down with a damp cloth. If you are worried about a mess on the chair or table, well good luck with that! Even my 6 year old still makes while eating sometimes! Good luck with it.....I hope you can find something to help!
    CJM_SHM

Answer by CJM_SHM at 2:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Oh, same as MomMom23, my son is a better eater for everyone else but me. I still nurse him, that's probably why. I work nights so even if he hasn't eaten much for me all day, he will make up for it by eating a huge dinner with my husband.
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Seriously, stop feeding her. Okay, let me rephrase that. Stop physically hand feeding her. Place the food on her plate and let her investigate it and feed herself. She will more likely eat more food if she is the one putting it into her mouth. When parents feed their child they're a little hesitant about what's going in, even if they'd had it a dozen times. Therefore, they tend to reject it before even giving it a chance. Leading to your floor being covered .. or you. Just let her feed herself and eliminate yourself from her dinner habits. I did this with my son and suddenly his habits changed within a day. He started eating more foods, started eating more quanity of foods, and really the frustration was limited. He still throws his food sometimes when he's done eating or doesn't like something, but that's bound to happen with a toddler.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 2:11 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Unfortunately, yup. Its part of the experimental phase...toddlers this young (and younger, because my 14 month old has started) are interested in EVERYTHING. "Oh I wonder what will happen if I do this", and "I saw someone do this and THAT happened, so what will happen when I do it?"...stuff like that.
    When my daughter starts to play with her food like this, by spitting it out and eating it again, I assume she's done, so the meal is over (even if she isn't done). This sends a signal to her that its not ok to play with the food, you're either going to eat it or we're done. Does it work...sometimes. But more than that, its a way for me NOT to have to clean up yet another mess.
    Not saying that's how you have to handle it, but that's how I do it.
    .Peaches.

Answer by .Peaches. at 2:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Great advice this makes me feel better! I am fortuate if this is all i have to complain about..she is only 18 mos afterall. &kids are messy lets face it. lol
    Thanks ladies! =)
    AlexxasMama

Comment by AlexxasMama (original poster) at 2:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It sounds normal to me. My child does that one day, eats like a piggy the next, wont eat the next... but she is healthy, happy and just awesome!
    Try to stay calm.. this too shall pass...
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 4:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think it's pretty normal. My son goes through phases of doing weird stuff with his food, and sometimes he hardly eats a thing and other times he eats almost as much as we do. I just make sure he's not wearing any clothes I care about, put a big bib on him and a mat under his high chair/booster seat, and let him eat it however he wants. I used to stress about it more, but I try not to get so frustrated now. I do ask him not to spit things out or to ask for a napkin if he doesn't like something, just so I am trying to teach him some manners--he has followed these directions more lately than he ever did before. It's definitely frustrating and gross sometimes though.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 5:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2010