Is this Punishment too Harsh?

My stepdaughter is 12 and got caught skipping school to go to the mall and for lying about it. My husband punished her by telling her she was no longer allowed to go to the Halloween party her friends are having. I think Halloween only comes once a year, so she should be allowed to go. What do you ladies think?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 9:22 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Tweens (9-12)

• I think you should back your husband. If you don't disagree, talk with him about something more appropriate in your opinion and let him change his mind and the punishment. It may be hard on you but disagreeing in front of anyone else will undermine his authority and it sounds like your SD needs to respect it. She may think twice before doing that again because I am sure she wants to go to that party. That's the outcome you want so I hope what he decides is effective.
    manna1qd

Answer by manna1qd at 5:04 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I can see what you're saying, but I agree with your husband. Sometimes the punishment needs to be harsh in order to make an impact.
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 9:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• thats not harsh at all! shes 12, she parties?? what?!
    Anonymous

• Not fun, but you certianly shouldn't go back on a punishment that's already given, because then she'll feel like she's "gotten away" with it.
    mrseum

Answer by mrseum at 9:31 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I agree with your hubby.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 9:33 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I would tell him next time that you would like to talk about her punishment in private and than tell him your oppin ion and come to a agreement
    Anonymous

• I know that she needs to be punished, but I just feel a bit bad about her not being able to go be with her friends. On top of it, he also told her he was going to be driving her to school and walking her into the buliding for the next two weeks, which I do agree with as for a 12 year old that has to be embarrassing to have your parent walk you into class.
    Anonymous

• sounds like you let her get away with a lot of stuff, your husband is doing whats right.
    Anonymous

• I have to say I agree with your husband. Halloween does come only once but it's going to come "only once" next year and the next year, and the next year. Trust me, she will be mad, but she will be fine. I have a 12 yr old myself.
    AuntMommy25

Answer by AuntMommy25 at 11:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• well, you need to provide a united front. maybe next time you and hubby can get together and agree on punishment before it is given. for now, stick to your (his) guns.
    KnoxvilleDoula

Answer by KnoxvilleDoula at 11:47 PM on Oct. 28, 2008