Why is my son so short? Should I be worried?

On the growth chart my son falls below the 9th percentile for height, but for weight and head circumference he is between 25 and 50 percent which is "normal". He has always been short, but I always thought that all three should fall in about the same place. Am I wrong? Should I be worried that he is so short? My husband and I are both average height I am 5'5" and my husband is 6'.

AnnHenderson

Asked by AnnHenderson at 9:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Kids' Health

• so how old is he and what is his height?
    Anonymous

• He is three years two months and is exactly 36 inches tall
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 9:30 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My daughter also is in the 9th percentile for height and is the 50th for weight. They dont always go hand in hand. My daughter is not overweight either in relation to her height. You also have to take in consideration how tall you and his father is and what is average in both of your families.
    lilymama03

Answer by lilymama03 at 9:59 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I wouldn't worry too much. At his 2 year check up, Connor was in the 50% for height and weight but the 95% for head circum. Chloe, at her 9 month check up, was in the 40% for weight, the 60% for height/length and the 75% for head circum. Our doc said as long as they aren't jumping up and down on the chart but growing in an "arch-like way" they were fine.

You can always call and talk with the nurses at your doctors office.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 10:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• My son was always small until he was about 16. I swear he woke up one day and had shot up to 6'2".
    PrttyMstng

Answer by PrttyMstng at 10:40 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Some kids grow more when their younger and some when their older. My oldest daughter grew early and was always one of the taller kids and then she stopped. My stepson and other daughter were always on the short side until about they reached 6th grade, now they grew so much that they passed up the oldest. So I wouldn't worry about it - he just may be a late grower.
    janie-o

Answer by janie-o at 12:25 AM on Oct. 29, 2008