Subscription only fire departments expand, thoughts?

Tempers flared inside a northwestern Tennessee courtroom Monday night as residents and local firefighters argued about the expansion of a local subscription-only fire-department policy, one that has ignited debate across the country. Three weeks ago, an elderly couple in Obion County, Tennessee, lost their trailer and four pets when firefighters refused to extinguish the conflagration. The trailer was located in a rural section of the county that does not have its own fire department, so five surrounding municipalities respond as needed, with three others responding only to subscribers. Gene and Pauline Cranick had forgotten to pay an annual $75 subscription fee for rural fire protection - so the South Fulton Fire Department helped only the Cranicks' neighbors, who were paid subscribers.

The International Association of Fire Fighters has condemned the South Fulton Fire Department's inaction as "incredibly irresponsible."

sweet-a-kins

Asked by sweet-a-kins at 1:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• "It's a public-safety issue," Ilive in a very poor area and no on would be able to afford to pay a subsription for firefighter service. It is sad that the world has come to this. My best friend who is a volunteer firefighter and I were discussing this. THere area other ways to raise money for the fire dept. We have Bingo nights, BBQ's letters go out for donations, dances, quilt sales, bake sales. There are ways.
    Ibelongtojesus

Answer by Ibelongtojesus at 8:44 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I understand that running FD can be costly, but then raise property taxes.

You can't raise property taxes for those who don't live or pay taxes in that CITY.... That is why they charged the fee for those who lived in the COUNTY..  Ya know~ a fee for those who DO NOT pay taxes to contribute to the cost of the services the actual tax payers fund.......

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 1:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• So, poor people can't have fire services? Has anyone here ever been in a situation where paying $75 is the difference between food for your children or none? What about renters, do they pay the seventy five dollars or does the landlord? If the landlord chooses not to pay, does the renter then lose everything? (even renter's insurance doesn't bring back the little caps your baby came home from the hospital in).

I agree the fee should be paid, but I think if it's not, the responders should still show up and the owners face a bill, along with a civil lawsuit and garnishments if they don't pay it. Also, the fee should not be forced to be paid in one lump sum, break it up, six fifty a month. (or a couple of other options) Also, if I was an insurance company in that area, I would add the cost of subscription to the insurance on the home and pay it.
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Haha, I have to pay $100.00 to guarantee the dept. will come out and put my house fire out. I got a letter and everything explaining. The man had his fires put out before without paying and he was warned. He had plenty of time to pay. I know I get 6 months from letter and notice until due date. I pay mine and I am poor enough to get foodstamps, my son gets medicaid and free lunches, but, I still save a little each month so that I can afford the $100.00.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 1:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My dad and grandfather were both VOLUNTEER fire fighters. They volunteered to risk their own lives for other people. They were not paid for their bravery.

If you pay county/city/both taxes, then there are certain services that are expected without having to pay extra ... fire and police help. I'm wondering if their police/sheriff also charge to investigate crimes or take a report or work a traffic accident.

"911, if you haven't paid your fees, please hang up because you are SOL!"
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 2:12 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• As a former volunteer fire fighter, what do you do when there is no money coming in? I don't think our fire department would have ever stood by and watched something burn on purpose though. It's a tough call. Why bother to go to the call then? I'd have to do more research into the whys, whats and wheres, but yes, it's wrong to watch something burn if you have the equipment to stop it.
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 1:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• f you pay county/city/both taxes, then there are certain services that are expected without having to pay extra ... fire and police help. I'm wondering if their police/sheriff also charge to investigate crimes or take a report or work a traffic accident. "911, if you haven't paid your fees, please hang up because you are SOL!"

You are talking about an entirely different set of laws/codes/etc...  Research it.

grlygrlz2

Answer by grlygrlz2 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It's a city issue.. Not a state issue... :oP Whatever happened to being responsible and paying for the mandated fee for service without feeling entitled to something for nothing?

Being responsible has nothing to do with being cold hearted enough not to step out and help.

As for a city issue? They are representing our state.
    MaryWolfe

Answer by MaryWolfe at 2:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• shifting the financial burden onerously to those with low income, it's deplorable.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Ohh, the dreaded down vote, I'm duly shamed. :D.

Listen, I can't afford cable, so I don't buy it. I don't believe people should be forced to pay for health insurance, so I'm against the health care bill. If someone without health insurance gets sick, they can still get treatments and help, they just have to look for it.

This practice takes away the only safety net, there are no other options. Surely there is a better idea out there...
    lovinangels

Answer by lovinangels at 3:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2010