I'm getting ready to open a home daycare and I was wondering if anyone has any good advice?

r2momma

Asked by r2momma at 9:24 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Money & Work

• i know this sounds mean but be strict with the parents so they dont try and walk all over you good luck
    Anonymous

• A couple that will make your life better are to enforce your hours, and to keep an open communication with the parents. It can be hard to separate business hours from personal hours since you do get close with the kids and parents, but if you get too flexible with your hours, it starts to feel like you're working constantly and never have your own time.
    kabbot01

Answer by kabbot01 at 9:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Write up an agreement for the parents to sign that outlines the specific hours, rate, and what happenes if they are late (extra charges), etc. I can share mine with you if you'd like, just send me a message.
    scrapbookmylife

Answer by scrapbookmylife at 9:42 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• make sure you get Ins.
    susan477

Answer by susan477 at 6:53 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Have the parents pay you at the BEGINNING of the week, not the end. Do NOT keep kids you don't like just because you need the money. There are other children that need care and you would be doing the family and child a diservice if you keep them. Make sure you have a contract, an emergncy list of phone numbers and contacts and maintain RECORDS. Make sure to record every ouchie a child gets....diaper rash, throw up etc. Cover your own butt. Have the parents sign a photo release form so that you can take pics of their kids. STAY within ration. NEVER more than 4 to 1...or 5 depending on the state and county that you live in.

If you have any questions, I'd be happy to answer them. I run an in home daycare....
    LuckyWifey

Answer by LuckyWifey at 11:29 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• congrats on your new venture. my mom was a childcare provider and i have much respect for people who work with children.

make sure you have a solid contract and have parents sign it. make sure you abide by your contract. look into gov't programs, some states have programs that help with breakfast and lunch this can help with you bottom line. have a set schedule so you dont get overwhelm. have special activities for special days (i.e monday is arts and crafts, tuesday is movie day wednesday is painting, etc.,) remember to just have fun. good luck to you.
    mom2gavahnyaand

Answer by mom2gavahnyaand at 12:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Here is a little advice I found out from one of my old babysitters.. you will add to this list as time goes on, I am sure... Make sure each parents fills out a form.. She had to add an addendum to the form stating that no parent could pick up a child if the parent had been drinking prior... Sad, but true... She knew that it would be safer in the long run not to release the child...
    pupmom

Answer by pupmom at 12:17 PM on Oct. 29, 2008