Did/do you give extra vitamin D while breastfeeding?

I've noticed lately that a lot of ppl do this and that a lot of doctors are recommending this...

I never did this for my daughters... they are fine. Isn't breast milk supposed to have everything your baby needs?

young-not-dumb

Asked by young-not-dumb at 2:12 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I never did with my boys eaither, but am with my daughter, based on her dr. its in formula, just not breastmilk...but see no problems in my boys.
    Jill040810

Answer by Jill040810 at 2:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Breastmilk is made for your baby, it changes as your baby grows, etc.. I don't see any reason to add anything to your Babies diet until they are going into the solid food stage... JMO. I breastfed 3 babies and all are very healthy!
    MrsLeftlane

Answer by MrsLeftlane at 2:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Agreed! I've been breastfeeding my son now for 5 months and I don't add anything to his diet :) My doc says it's fine.
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 2:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Nope. Breastmilk IS supposed to have everything your baby needs, as long as you are healthy. I know there are supposedly all these studies lately saying people don't get enough vitamin D, but I am suspicious about supplementing bf babies. As for the rest of us, we just need to get outside more! The sun provides us with vitamin D.
    FelipesMom

Answer by FelipesMom at 2:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2010