A Sick Baby..

My poor 9 month old is sick. He has a fever that ranges up to 103.7 and sometimes vomits. I brought him to the doctor and he told me it was his throat.. herpangina, its just a viral throat infection not treated by antibiotics. So he tells me that it is very painful to keep up with the tylenol and motrin.. but he isnt drinking anything. my husband and i have resorted to filling a dropper with formula or juice and giving him it that way. He has been keeping it down, small amounts. Does anyone know any remedies that i can try to sooth the pain in his throat so he can drink something?.. sorry so long.

AmFam5

Asked by AmFam5 at 9:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• If you can get him to drink some, apple juice is wonderful for a sore throat because the pectin in it soothes the raw tissues. You could try heating some and giving it to him lukewarm. I hope he's feeling better soon! One thing I did with my DS when he got sick was I took him into the tub with me and actually fed him an Otter Pop in there and then gave him a bottle. I think being in the water helped to take his mind off of the fact that he was drinking something.
    ILuvMyBoyz0608

Answer by ILuvMyBoyz0608 at 3:10 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• warm tea maybe mixed with water
    Anonymous

• Maybe you could try giving him small amounts of cold stuff like jello, applesauce, sherbert, yogurt, ice cream, etc.
    CookieMom108

Answer by CookieMom108 at 9:43 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• pedialite popcicles, warm tea, sorbet (it's like sherbet only no milk), or lemon icee are good choices. not related to the throat problem, I've found with the fever it helps to give my daughter a lukewarm bath then sit her on my chest, bare skin to bare skin. the old wives tale is that it "draws the fever out"
    baenglishwc05

Answer by baenglishwc05 at 10:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2008