I've been breastfeeding for 5 months and my milk is slowly drying up. I'm thinking its lack of sleep, but how can I boost my supply again? I drink, eat right, and take fenugreek...yet I'm still making less and less. I'm thinking about just stopping and going to formula...

Jill040810

Asked by Jill040810 at 2:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• breastfeeding is supply and demand, giving formula will only make it worse. What are your signs that you are drying up? Breasts feel less "full" as you nurse longer, the only good measurement of output is a wet diaper count
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Sleep can affect your supply. What makes you think you are drying up? Is your baby crying after feedings? How many wet diapers are you getting? I hope you're not basing this on pumping.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• She was on a 3 hour schedule, but she now wants to nurse every hour and is still hungry. i topped her off with formula to see if she was indeed stiil hungry and sucked down 2+ oz
    Jill040810

Comment by Jill040810 (original poster) at 2:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• There is nothing wrong with using formula. I was not able to get my son to latch on because he had to use a bottle so I had to pump. I was only able to pump for 2 months because i was drying up and that lasted for about 6 months then I changed to formula. And DS has always been super healthy. Dont worry about needing to change over to formula. Its not a bad thing you tried. =) By the way congrats on your little one.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• if she is wanting to nurse every hour it is likely a growth spurt and not a lack of supply
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 2:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• If you "top her off" with formula every time, then your body is not getting the signal that it needs to make more. Also, hormonal birth control can also drop your supply. The solution is to nurse as often and as long as she wants. It sounds like it is just a growth spurt to me. www.kellymom.com
    squish

Answer by squish at 2:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• constant feeding, likely growth spurt.. as for more supply. it sounds horrible but a small glass of beer can make your milk come in quick. not sure how safe this is and the quality of the milk, but it does bring in more milk.

as for the formula, its ok to top it up but like others have said it is supply and demand. if your not giving bub so much every day and change it up often, you will lose the milk.. why dont you pump with an external pump as much as you can, that way you can bring in more milk, if you feel you dont have enough..

if you chose to go to formula, thats ok also.. i ended up having to do that because i had to go on medications ( extreme antihistemines not to mention dapsone) because of my auto immune disease. but if you want to do it anyway thats your choice and no one should tell you not to.. of course breast is best, but if its driving you nuts then dont cause yourself the hassle. congrats on bubs! :)
    Weldo1983

Answer by Weldo1983 at 2:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• YOu can supplement if you feel you need to, but I wouldn't give up on nursing. This may be a temporary glitch, not a permanent drying up of your milk. I had low supply at first and it gradually resolved over a couple of months. This is what I did, and it worked: Nurse her FIRST, every time she is hungry. Be patient and don't rush her. Then give formula if you want. I went from 100% formula to 100% breastmilk in less than 3 months. It can be done, no matter what the BF nazis say :)
    getrealmama

Answer by getrealmama at 2:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It just sounds like a growth spurt. If I were you, I would just nurse on demand, even if that meant every hour, this will boost your supply. I would NOT supplement, as this signals your body to produce LESS. If EBF, if you are changing 6-8 diapers in 24 hrs your supply is fine, so look for output. Many babies will take a bottle after nursing just because it's there, not because they are hungry.
    Krysta622

Answer by Krysta622 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• DON'T GIVE UP ON NURSING. What you are describing is a growth spurt. Nurse as often as she wants to, and don't give her any formula. Your production will pick up to meet the demand. In a week or so, she'll cut back on nursing as you are producing more. You're doing great!
    MommaofH2

Answer by MommaofH2 at 2:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2010