What do you think of the temporal (forehead) thermometer?

I'm going to buy it at Wal-Mart for $36.67 + tax. I hate using the mouth thermometers.

Is it easy to use?
Is it accurate?
Is it worth the money?
Is it better than the mouth thermometer or the ear thermometer?

horsesteelers

Asked by horsesteelers at 2:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• We have one... it's by Excergen and I love it. (we use Excergen in the hospital) My 2 year old won't of coarse let me do rectals on him anymore and he acts like I'm trying to chop off his arm if I do an under arm temp... so we get a temporal.
    I find that it IS accurate (when I have compared it to a rectal temp)
    I think the instructions say to swipe it across the forehead... but with the same brand in the hospital we swipe it across the forehead and without lifting it run it behind the ear and stop behind the earlobe... it gets the most accurate temps. :)
    I do not think that ear thermometers that you can buy in stores are work the money... very inaccurate... even the ones we use in the hosptial have now been banned... so I wouldn't get one.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I like it. I do wonder sometimes if I'm using it right, LOL. I tried ear thermometers, but my son hated having anything stuck in his ear (he got ear infections when he was younger), and I hated rectal thermometers (used it, but still hated it) and he's not ready for a mouth thermometer yet (he just bites). So yeah, I think the temporarl is a nice thing to use.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 2:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• its best to use the rectal one for baby under one year its most accurate just put some jellile on it it dont hurt the baby
    mama2my2boys

Answer by mama2my2boys at 2:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I love it because I can check on them through the night without waking them, and it's much more accurate than an ear thermometer.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 2:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I have and love. Although I do often wonder if I'm doing it right, so I do it over and over again until I'm satisfied that the temp is correct. Also, you have to know that it reads higher than a normal thermometer.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I have it and I Love it! It is so easy to use and accurate. I even use for on my Son while he is sleeping. Walmart has sales on it often. I paid $24.
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Sorry: "Use it for my Son while he is sleeping". I added an on by mistake :)
    ILovemyPaulie

Answer by ILovemyPaulie at 2:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• The one you slide across the forehead? or the one that sits on the tempal? I have the one for the tempal and HATED it! I have the ear one know and like that but i do like the one the dotors use that slide across the forehead ..... and I am sorry but the back of you hand can NOT tell you how high the time is and if it is going higher or lower... they are to keep track of a temp... a lot of ppl use their hands to see if the child has one then use the thermometer to check and see how high it is!
    randilinn

Answer by randilinn at 2:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• the temperal lobe thermomenter is the one you slide across the forehead and it's wonderful! Fast and easy to use!
    ErinT

Answer by ErinT at 3:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I like ours. We got it because DD wasn't much for holding still long enough to do rectal temp or any other kind for that matter. They are definitely durable- as she's gotten older she's gotten a hold of it several times, dropped it, etc, and it still works perfectly well. We got the Braun (?) because that's what they use at her ped's. Fairly easy use as long as they can hold their head still for a second or two- this gets harder as they get older. Like a pp said, rectal is best, but she wouldn't hold still long enough for that, so that was our next best shot.
    preacherskid

Answer by preacherskid at 4:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2010