is it illegal to tape someone?

I sure wish I could tape my husband yelling at me. I don't think he has a clue as to how terrible he sounds. He really laid into me today because i agreed to pick baby up and he has the whole afternoon to himself. I said I was jealous of him. He ripped into me like none other calling me names telling me that I am selfish and don't care about him. I would love to record him so he can hear what he's saying. Is it right to do that?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 2:26 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• I say do it. I believe as long as one person knows it, it's legal.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 2:28 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Me too do it!! what is he going to do sue you?

Answer by older at 2:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I'm not sure.......but it's your husband, so it's not as if he's going to press charges if it is illegal, right?
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 2:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It depends on the state you live in. Mostly, you can't tape a person without their knowledge. But, this isn't something you're going into court over-at least I hope not. It's just to let him know how he sounds. I would say to him "I'm going to make a tape of you the next time you start yelling at me, so you'll know how you sound" Then do it. I would wait till a quiet time to replay it to him, not when he's yelling at you.
    SweetLuci

Answer by SweetLuci at 2:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Go for it, I think you just cant put it on the internet
    mommy_of_two388

Answer by mommy_of_two388 at 2:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• as long as it doesnt get out on u tube or anything like that. cause then you could be in trouble
    americansugar80

Answer by americansugar80 at 2:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• you can tape them and use it for a police report but you cant bring that tape as evidence in court unless the person gave your permission to tape them. certainly tape them. btw... most cell phones have that function in the accessories and voice note menus.
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 2:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think the legal part is different with every state so im not sure about that part. But if you are just doing it to show him how he is acting then that should be fine. Now because of the legal aspect of it you might not be able to use that in court against him. But like I said if it is just to show him then got for it.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 2:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think it depends on what state you live in.

Answer by louise2 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Depends on state laws. In most states, you can NOT tape or record someone unless they are aware that they are being taped or recorded.
    xxlilmomma09

Answer by xxlilmomma09 at 2:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2010