Seperation Anixiety in 5 yr old

My son is dealing with seperation anixety at school. Do you give a reward system if they dont cry at school. I spend as much time as possible with him when he gets home. He also hollers at us and has started hitting us, became very angery. What do you do about he anger???

mandynjohnsmom

Asked by mandynjohnsmom at 2:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Does he have any friends at school? Making friends, how ever possible, may help if not. Best thing, that I've done, is reward as much as possible for when he has a good day at school. Whatever he loves to do/eat, I'd use that. We've taken our daughter out for ice cream & that has continued to work.
    As for the anger....we also deal with that, especially when something doesn't go her way or doesn't get what she wants. So frustrating. The best I can say is sit at their level, literally, & find out why they are angry & what YOU can do to make them happy, with reason of course, in a calm voice. I've had to just step away & tell her to come back to me when she's ready to be nice. Having them sit on their hands, on wicker, has made her rethink hitting. Getting down to their level has also really helped. Finding age 5 is a big challenge. They want to be big kids but are still too young to do whatever they please. Good luck!
    jodissis

Answer by jodissis at 3:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It takes time for them to adjust. My first son took about 8 weeks to adjust. My second son never had an issue with it. Just be patient, it will come, and things will fall into place.
    nomadmomof3

Answer by nomadmomof3 at 2:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Give him a picture of you, when he misses you he can look at it. Tape it to the inside of his pencil box etc.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 11:24 AM on Oct. 22, 2010