how long can u keep opened baby food in the fridge?

my dd is not finishing a whole jar at one time anymore so can i save it in the fridge until her next feeding or even the next day? i know its only 50cents but i hate wasting money!

Caroline2010

Asked by Caroline2010 at 2:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• As long as you're not feeding her directly from the jar, I'd say you could keep it 24-48 hours, covered, in the fridge as long as you refrigerate right away.

If you're feeding her from the jar directly, it's iffy. I wouldn't keep it refrigerated more than a few hours.

Baby food has no preservatives, so any bacteria that enters the jar has a fertile breeding ground.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 2:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• If your were feeding her directly from the jar, I wouldn't keep it at all. If you poured it into a bowl and only kept what was in the jar and he spoon with saliva never touched it, then, 24 hours.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 2:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I agree with the above...don't keep it if she ate from the jar. I would say 2 days if you poured some in a bowl to use and wanted to save the rest of the jar. Most brands have their recommendations somewhere in the fine print on the jar too.
    pam19

Answer by pam19 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• If you poured it from the jar (no dipping a spoon in) I would say 1-2 days
    If you dipped it in the jar I would through it away at the end of the day
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• 2 days for jars, 3 for the plastic containers. I also throw it out at the end of the day if I feed it to dd straight from the container.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2010