How do you transition a toddler from a bottle to a sippy cup?

She drinks out of them sometimes, but rarely. She's 16 months old and I think it's about time. Got any tips?

ambularc22

Asked by ambularc22 at 9:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• i just gave my daughter juice in it ( when she was old enough to have juice) and then on her 1st bday i didnt give her the bottle anymore she didnt have a problem with it... your right it is time just do it cold turkey she will have to drink out of it
    klinemom2

Answer by klinemom2 at 9:56 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• We start offering a sippy cup, at about a year old, with meals. My son was about 15 months old or so when he just decided one day he didn't want the bottle anymore and started taking the sippy cup. Our daughter, at about 9 months, started grabbing at her brothers sippy cup, so we got her one of her own. We offer it, but ultimately leave it up to the kids.

Start giving her one at meals, she may surprise you and just take to it.
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 10:08 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i used gerber's transition cup that had interchanging bottle nipple or sippy cup spout. Noelle loved it because it was easy to drink out of, didn't really spill, and she didn't have to get used to holding a new cup when we switched the nipple to the sippy spout
    baenglishwc05

Answer by baenglishwc05 at 10:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i just told my son he wasnt getting the bottle anymore and it worked my daughter stopped taking hers cause she saw her big brother drinking out of something new to her
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Aubriana was on the bottle up until she was almost 19 months. I had to do it cold turkey. I just threw away all her bottles, she didnt like it at first, but it didnt take long for her to like a sippy.
    Kendrewana

Answer by Kendrewana at 11:19 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• what work for my daughter is a cup with a screw on lid and straw after that she did not want the bottle.she didn't really like sippy cups to her it was just something for her to throw around.
    momangel05

Answer by momangel05 at 2:48 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Once my boys showed they could USE a sippy cup, I took all of the bottles away. If they could use a sippy cup, they didn't need the bottle any longer. They were six months old at the time.
    TiccledBlue

Answer by TiccledBlue at 5:33 AM on Oct. 29, 2008