tantrum and bad behavior from my 6 year old boy

My six year old act out a lot at home. He doesn't have these issues at school. As soon as he wakes up in the morning he is angry. He throw tantrums and tell us that he hates us and sometimes tells his brother he wants to kill him. I really trying to clamp down on this behavior, but am getting very frustrated, and my feeling are really hurt by some of the mean things that come out of his mouth when he is angry and out of control.

nomadmomof3

Asked by nomadmomof3 at 2:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Take him to the doctor and have him evaluated. . . maybe there is an underlining issue
    MommyAppelseed

Answer by MommyAppelseed at 7:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• There has to be something going on.... yes get him evaluated this is not normal
    wheresthewayout

Answer by wheresthewayout at 2:13 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I took my daughter to a doctor and a psychologist for the same thing - same issues - great in school and then major tantrums over the silliest things at home. This at least relieved my worries that there was an underlying issue. This at least relieved a little worry. Both doctors believe she will grow out of it ...seems like she is although when there is an episode it doesn't feel that way - good luck!
    KellyP11

Answer by KellyP11 at 9:08 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Getting him evaluated is a good start. This may be just a phase, but ruling out any underlying problems can help you figure out how to best deal with this. My DD went through a similar stage, she had to be in her room if she couldn't be civil. It only took a week.
    Scuba

Answer by Scuba at 9:28 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• Get him evaluated as soon as possible. It could turn into something more than just a phase.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 11:52 AM on Oct. 22, 2010