Am I the only parent too paranoid to use a "walk along" toy for my young children who do not yet know how to walk?

All I can see is them flipping it over, falling face first onto the floor or the toy and injuring themself. I didn't buy any for my other two children before they could walk and I won't buy one for my son either. I'm just too scared of them seriously hurting themselves.

Am I the only one who is scared of them?

Memigen

Asked by Memigen at 2:55 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• you arent alone but my son wasnt walking at 12 months and got one for his b-day... by using that most of his waking time (he loooved it) he learned how to walk without holding hands in about 2 weeks. you have to be careful. use them safely - then they are a great learning tool!
    AmaliaD

Answer by AmaliaD at 3:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• They have to be almost able to walk and used to standing on their own, plus the push toy has to be sturdy and not heavy but weighted down. We used one for my son and it was too light weight so he would push it faster than he could walk and ended up slipping. It's also better/safer used on carpet.
    Anonymous

• I don't know if you're the only one, but I had one for my son. He never flipped it over, even though he did stumble with it a couple of times, but he'd do that on his own too... It didn't exactly run all that smoothly, so it never got away from him.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• no..you're not the only one! ours had brakes on them so they never moved when dd played with them.....the little boy i kept would always pull it over on him....the little push along toys that can also double as a riding toy, we never used at all.
    mom_to_kenzie

Answer by mom_to_kenzie at 3:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My dd has one that becomes a ride on car later. She walks behind a laundry basket just as well, so not a necessity. If you're not comfortable with I say no big deal.
    sopranomommy

Answer by sopranomommy at 3:10 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Although we did have a couple of them for our daughter, I did have concerns of them rolling out and her falling flat on her face. Never happened though.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Well, I can understand that though Mom, but if you worried about every little potential thing that can happen to your child throughout the day, you will never get out of bed. Enjoy life... you only get one chance!!
    m-avi

Answer by m-avi at 3:17 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• We had a really good heavy one that was well balanced and couldn't flip. My SIL gave it to me. Otherwise I wouldn't have used it.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:38 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• my dd used one when she was learning how to walk but my ds didn't b/c he would fall on his face it just depends on the child
    josiesmommy00

Answer by josiesmommy00 at 3:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I'm talking about those littl eplastic walking toys they sell at Wal-Mart and such... I hate them! They are so light weight! A good breeze could push them! lol

I did give my kids a box and they pushed it EVERYWHERE! lol
    Memigen

Comment by Memigen (original poster) at 3:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2010