i noticed there were other athiest moms out there...

how have u raised them basically...lol:
is there an easter bunny and santa claus in ur house?
what about their friends staying over who r religious, any conflicts?
what do u do if ur child wants to believe n god?
what do u do when ur young one blurts out in front of ur religious inlaws that god doesn't exist?
i'm looking 4 any details...i'm athiest with 2 beautiful children and am very curious what other views r....

yomamaporter

Asked by yomamaporter at 9:55 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Religion & Beliefs

• I believe children should be taught about all religions so that as an adult they can choose the path that best suits them.

do your inlaws not know about your beliefs? I'd recommend telling them before the kids blurt it out :) it will save some arguing if you just sit down and have an honest talk with them.

with Easter & Christmas so commercialized, it is very easy to leave Christianity out of those holidays. Come on what does Santa have to do with Jesus? Or easter bunny with Jesus? :) the easter bunny is from the pagan history of the holiday that Christians usurped for the purpose of converting pagans.
    Anonymous

• My son is only three, we do "easter bunny" and "santa claus" because in all reality those things are not religious. He doesn't know what or who god is. If and when he asks I'll tell him how I feel. His father believes in god, and he will tell him how he feels, and it will then be up to our son to decided what he feels/believes. Since he is only three we haven't experienced any conflicts, who knows what will happen in the years to come.
    AnnHenderson

Answer by AnnHenderson at 10:02 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• how have u raised them basically...lol:  Without religion.
    is there an easter bunny and santa claus in ur house?  There was, but my kids are older now.
    what about their friends staying over who r religious, any conflicts?  No, everyone who is close to me knows, and most of them are not religious.
    what do u do if ur child wants to believe n god?  As long as they are old enough to make that decision then I will let them live their lives their way and support them in everything they do.
    what do u do when ur young one blurts out in front of ur religious inlaws that god doesn't exist?  I don't have religious in-laws.  We're just one big happy heathen family!

beeky

Answer by beeky at 10:53 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I'm not Atheist, I am Agnostic but we have similar situations. My kids are 4, 2, and one on the way. Religion just isn't a part of our lives. The most we have spoken about "God" was my son asking if it was a bad word because of someone saying GD. We do have the easter bunny and decorate a tree/santa claus for Christmas. Fortunately my sons best friend has a *very* open minded family. His Dad was a minister, he teaches a religious studies at a University. We don't have a lot of friends outside of our small circle. If my kids decide they want to be religious I will support them. My parents let me explore religion, I will do the same for my kids after they reach an age to think for themselves. My in laws are very catholic. They are not happy with our choice, its actually amazing they say as little as they do. My parents are Atheist/Deist.
    Serafyna

Answer by Serafyna at 12:29 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• is there an easter bunny and santa claus in ur house? Of course. We will teach our daughter that Christmas is about giving, charity, love, and family. Easter is a celebration of spring and all the good things that come with it.

what about their friends staying over who r religious, any conflicts? She is only 15 months.  Her friends don't mind.

hat do u do if ur child wants to believe n god? I don't know yet.  Honestly, I think I will be a little disappointed.  But I will be more open then my parents or other.

what do u do when ur young one blurts out in front of ur religious inlaws that god doesn't exist? Oh boy am I not looking forward to this day. 

jcsscfam5

Answer by jcsscfam5 at 1:18 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• is there an easter bunny and santa claus in ur house? i grew up with them, even though our versions had nothing to do with religion. hell, until 5th grade i assumed everyone outgrew god just like santa. boy was i wrong!
    what about their friends staying over who r religious, any conflicts? my daughter is 10mos, no problems. i didn't have any problems growing up with my friends though.
    what do u do if ur child wants to believe n god? if she so chooses, it's her life. i can't stop her. but i seriously doubt she would if i do everything right.
    what do u do when ur young one blurts out in front of ur religious inlaws that god doesn't exist? it would be a load off my back! my MIL is crazy obsessed with her church and is stuck in an abusive marriage because of it.
    MaMaLaLa369

Answer by MaMaLaLa369 at 2:52 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Q1: he knows that people have different beliefs on the matter, and that it's a personal decision no one else can make for another.

Q2: yup, it's a nice part of childhood.

Q3: no, and I'll be upfront about our own beliefs and not try to sway another. we'll only have problems if someone tells my kids that they or their parents (their dad and I) will burn in hell. and I won't have anyone drag my kid to church against our will.

Q4: I won't violate the sanctity of their minds. Do I prefer they see things the same way their dad and I do? of course, which I'm sure goes for religious parents as well.

Q5: We're "out" atheists, and I wouldn't ask my kids to lie.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 3:50 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• how have u raised them basically...lol: My kids are 3 and 1 so the religion thing hasn't come up yet. So as of today they're being raised without religion

is there an easter bunny and santa claus in ur house? Not reallly. My eldest knows what a Santa hat is but doesn't know who Santa is. However we do exchange presents and put up a tree. We haven't done the easter thing yet. I"m not sure if we will.

what about their friends staying over who r religious, any conflicts?Nope, we respect their beliefs and they respect ours.

what do u do if ur child wants to believe n god? Let them

KristiS11384

Answer by KristiS11384 at 7:09 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• what do u do when ur young one blurts out in front of ur religious inlaws that god doesn't exist? Haven't come across this yet but all my inlaws know that I'm atheist so it wouldn't be a shock to them or anything. They are also not the kind of religious inlaws who would preach damnation and hellfire to me either. They're the kind that while they may not understand my choices, would love me and my children regardless.

KristiS11384

• how have u raised them basically...lol: basically we just didn't bring up religion.  the first time I mentioned Jesus at Christmas my oldest was 5 1/2is there an easter bunny and santa claus in ur house? yep, because they are fun traditionswhat about their friends staying over who r religious, any conflicts? my kids friends' aren't allowed over because...well my kids refuse to clean their room, lol.  My dd's best friend is Catholic and they get along fine

justanotherjen

Answer by justanotherjen at 8:18 AM on Oct. 29, 2008