Elderly Dog..

We have a 14 yr old German Shepherd. She's been slowly getting worse. She can't hear, can't see real well, sleeps all the time. Now she's having diarrhea, it's dark, reddish in color, and like liquid. I wondered if any of you have gone through the death of an elderly pet. What are the signs, symptoms?
I have called the Vet, I will be taking her in the morning, but I just wanted to know if anyone has dealt with anything like this... Thank you.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 3:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Pets

• SORRY! We went thru this with our 12 yo greyhound a few years ago. It came on quick and he died in the middle of the night. My 10yo golden retriever started having probs too. she couldn't get up, one day I left for work and when I got home that night she was in the same place just shaking. She had hip displasia (sp?) so already had trouble walking. I ended up having to take her to the vet the next day. It was just too painful for her and I was being selfish. She was my baby!! ***HUGS***
    sku5573

Answer by sku5573 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Not like that, but we did just recently go through a death of an elderly pet...2 actually. Lost our 13 year old Husky in July and our 11 year old Husky earlier this month. It's not easy and I still cry when thinking about them. Good luck. I'll say a prayer for you and your dog.
    AllAboutKeeley

Answer by AllAboutKeeley at 3:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• no. I am sorry for your pet,and for u. It is hard. R u going to put her down? Hard decision.
    dancer

Answer by dancer at 3:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• we just went through this with our family dog...she was 16 yrs old.. She was having trouble walking, didn't hear to well..and then lost control of her bowels and bladder...we finally put her down, she was just suffering more than living.
    tntmom1027

Answer by tntmom1027 at 3:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• We went through this with my first dog, he was 18 when we put him down.... Now, looking back, I think we waited too long, towards the end he was so bad, blind, deaf, incontinent. His quality of life just wasn't there anymore. It's hard to say goodbye to a pet, but sometimes I think we hold on too long for our own selfish reasons, because we're not ready to let go...

14 years old is pretty old for a German Shepherd. Just keep in mind that you want to do what's best for HER, not what's best for YOU.

I'm sorry :(
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 3:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I put my 12y dog to sleep almost 2 years ago. It was really hard. The vet tried to convince me not to do it, which was really messed up and something i am still angry about. We went to a vet that was really close to our house instead of her usual vet and i think that was a huge mistake.

I still miss her a lot.
    UpSheRises

Answer by UpSheRises at 3:55 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• OP here----- When I take her to the Vet tomorrow I want them to look at her, give me more of an idea of how bad things are. It's so hard to tell because you can't really see the emotion, pain, that she's experiencing. For me, I would think putting her down would be best, just because of her comfort level at this point. She cries off and on, and sleeps all the time. When she gets up it's to drink, or go out and that's it. She will lay in the same spot all day, except for those 2 things. We have to wake her, she can't hear me, and she's so stif when she tries walking. I'm with her 24/7. My Hubby's gone a month at a time, and she's really his Dog. He rescued her when she was 4, and stopped taking her with him last year because she can't get in and out of his truck... I feel bad for him, and he wants her to go on her own, but he's not here, he doesn't see what I see all day everyday...
    I will see what the Vet says... TY all!
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 4:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Also went through this with our Golden retriever in May. She was 13 1/2 and her hips were also bad. One day she just couldn't walk anymore. As much as we loved her we knew it was time to let her go. Sorry for your situation. Only you can make this decision. Hugs to you
    Carolannie

Answer by Carolannie at 9:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• OP here.. Thank you Ladies for all of the kind words. Reading your stories makes me realize I'm not alone in this.. I think what's really going to be difficult is telling my Hubby when she is gone.
    I also would like to be able to pick all of your answers as best answers because all of you gave such great answers...

TY again.
    Anonymous

Comment by Anonymous (original poster) at 9:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2010