My 3yr old son is chronically constipated, I need suggestions...

This has been an ongoing struggle since he was about 1yr old. I have taken him to the pedi numerous times over this and I am always told to give him prune juice or mineral oil. I give him prune juice everyday, today he has 16ozs as well as Metamucil. I have tried benefiber which did not help either. I'm tired of seeing him in pain all the time. I do have to give him suppositories if it's over 5 days with out a BM. He's a SUPER picky eater, so getting the right foods in him is almost impossible at times. I can't force him to eat or drink the proper stuff, so what can I do? Any suggestions as to what I can try would be helpful. thanks.

momofone221

Asked by momofone221 at 3:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I give my boy Fiber Gummies you can buy at Walgreens. Its not a lexative just a good fiber source for when its not included in the food.e he takes it every day 2 times a day. he is great when he takes it.....when he stops taking them he is as hard and constipated as can be. give those things a try they work. Good luck
    Ladyblue38

Answer by Ladyblue38 at 8:39 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• its possible he could have an allergy to dairy or something else..his body may not be able to digest those things normally. you should take him to an allergist and a pedi GI specialist
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 3:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• mirilax

you can buy it OTC
    peanutsmommy1

Answer by peanutsmommy1 at 3:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Shay- I thought the same thing and brought him to an allergist, he has no allergies. I think part of it physiological now?
    momofone221

Comment by momofone221 (original poster) at 3:33 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• What kind of allergy testing did he have done? Was it skin prick or RAST test? If it was RAST test did they check IgG or just IgE? He may have a sensitivity to gluten &/or dairy. It took 3 allergists & testing to determine my son's problem.

You can give him Benefiber. It's colorless & tasteless. You can mix it in any of his foods. This is what I had to do before we figured out which foods were causing it. Now my son will eat anything we put in front of him.
    motherofhope98

Answer by motherofhope98 at 3:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I went to a dietician for my sons chronic consitipation. I have to give him a minimum of 10 grams of fiber a day.. which is really easy if you check out fiber one muffins or fiber one bread or even the chocolate cereal bars... I would try that route, she said there are many things we could try, the first dietary levels of fiber just happened to work, on days WE forget, we have always used miralax also - and before the dietician, we used that from the time he was 11 months old til 2 when I had that appt
    maxsmom11807

Answer by maxsmom11807 at 4:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Us too. We have never done the mineral oil. My son has some eating issues so diet is a main cause of his constipation. Unfortunately, you can do everything right with a child's diet - and still some kids are chronically having issues. One older teen I know just had a surgery. He had chronic constipation since he was an infant and it turned out to be his intestines had a kink in it. So I will ask for an x-ray or some type of follow up if it continues for six more months. We have been on this constipation train for about a year. We do Mira-lax, a full adult dose as needed. We also do a milk and molasses enema every three days if he doesn't have any BM's and can't poop anything out. We put Benefiber in EVERYTHING he can eat. If really desperate I will do a vaseline ball. Freeze vasaline, roll in a half a pea size ball, coat with ice creme and down it goes. I got this recipe because I worked

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• with patients who were chronically constipated. This is the doctor's little weapon. Half a pea size only! Any bigger and holy crap. The theory is you need to work from the top down not the bottom up to loosen the blockage. Also I try and push as much water as possible because if you are not hydrated well your fecal waste gets dry and hard making it even more difficult. My husband is also a "poop coach" and he literally coaches my son to poop. We schedule regular poop times on the toilet and after we are done we look at the BM and think of what shapes it looks like. This is all to get him comfortable. When you are constipated you hurt and sitting on the toilet is a scary thought.  My son's doctor takes this issue seriously because eventually your intestines expand to the point where you can't feel to go poop.  Then you loose control permanently.  You ruin the elasticity of your parts when it is chronic.

frogdawg

Answer by frogdawg at 11:30 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• WOW just going to type this question. My dd is 3 and has been constipated since she was a year now. She is fully pee trained but pooping is torture...she will go 5-7 days. Hoping to get some answers, can't wait to read responses. I really want to avoid medication route (which we have tried ...ugh)
    MrsPilat

Answer by MrsPilat at 4:08 PM on Oct. 23, 2010