What is the big deal about the bottle?

I am curious. I never cared when my child was weaned from the bottle. (I nursed for a long time, so the bottle wasn't a big deal.) Is there a medical reason why your child can't have a bottle? I mean if you are not pouring juice down their throats and giving them bottles to lie down with, and they are eating well? Keeping in mind I seem to do everything differently then most people, I am just wondering. My kids are fine and their teeth are fine and none of them had the bottle "taken away". No judgement honest. I just wondered why.

SusieD250

Asked by SusieD250 at 9:58 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• I don't understand the big deal with the bottle either. We started offering it at a year and the kids decided when they were ready to let go of the bottle. We never took it away. My now 2.5 year old gave it up around 15 months and my 10 month old likes to steal her brothers, but she is still taking the bottle. I recently saw where some mom said her baby was off the bottle at 3 months. 3 months! What ever happened to letting babies be babies?
    jms124

Answer by jms124 at 10:20 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i wonder the same thing all the time.My daughter tossed the binky herself and im sure she will do it with the bottle. She is not even 2 yet.her teeth are in great shape .Im in no rush because i know nothing ever last forever
    Anonymous

• Well my oldest daughter was off the bottle at 12 months and my youngest was off the bottle at 14 months. They chose to use the sippy cup. I am not saying that these are the "ideal ages" to take your child off or anything, just that they were the chosen ages for my own children. Parents need to make the call on a individual basis based on knowing thier child.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 10:29 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• the bottle messes up their teeth well thats what i was told
    wendy232425

Answer by wendy232425 at 11:04 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• some people just don't like the idea. its easier not to have to mess with bottles when you are out if they can use a cup. soem kids are slower to talk when they have a paci in their mouth all the time. ut it is just personal preference.
    Lyndall

Answer by Lyndall at 11:28 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I think that there is no reason why a child can't use a sippy cup after they turn 1. To me a bottle is for a baby not toddlers. Both my children were off the bottle by 10 months. They liked the sippy cups. I think the bottles are just ways to "baby" them, or parents just being lazy. No offense to anyone JMO. Both of my kids were also drinking out of regular glasses at 2. My son decided that he didn't want the sippys anymore and threw them when you give him one, he just wanted a regular cup.
    MyLoves041419

Answer by MyLoves041419 at 12:33 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I don't see the big deal either. A sippy is just a grown up looking bottle. My son is 2.5 years old and still uses his bottle for milk and I have no intention of taking it away. I had mine till I was 4 and am perfectly fine.
    purpleducky

Answer by purpleducky at 7:54 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Because it is an old wives tale that a bottle, pacifier, or sucking their thumb will ruin their teeth. Which personally cracks me up, because they have their BABY TEETH, not their adult teeth, and mom's are worried that they will have crooked teeth for the rest of their lives.
    MarshaB702

Answer by MarshaB702 at 8:29 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• Maybe it's the association of a bottle being a substitute nipple. To see a child at 2 or three running around with a nipple in their mouth leaves a question psychologically as to whether food is being used as a source of nutrition or comfort. There are variances in opinion as to when a child has grown past an age where they should be dependent upon sucking for comfort, and started developing other self soothing mechanisms.

Both of my boys were weaned just after one, and pacifiers had gone the way of the past shortly before that. Sippy cups were a spill proof progression to a more adult relationship with food/drink.

Kestrel1

Answer by Kestrel1 at 12:50 PM on Oct. 29, 2008

• But isn't a nipple supposed to be both a source of comfort and food??
    SusieD250

Answer by SusieD250 at 1:48 PM on Oct. 29, 2008