Nursing Bras

Do I need to get one to bring to the hospital when I have the baby? Is it better to wait until my milk comes in to buy them to get a proper fit (we are on a tight budget, I want high quality stuff but can't afford to buy a bunch of different sizes)? The tank-top style - are they convenient; do they provide good support for very large breasts? Anything else I need to know? Thanks.

figaro8895

Asked by figaro8895 at 3:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I breastfed all of my little ones and never found a nursing bra that was a s good of support as my regular ones so I tried them on bought a couple but never used them. Personally I would wait.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 3:46 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I used my own bras and yanked down the top. Of course this eventually ruined the bras, but it worked for me. I hated the nursing bras. They were too supportive for me. I had 1 or 2.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I would wait until your milk comes in to buy. At the hospital I just wore the gown or my own button-down shirt or something that was easy to pull down and nurse with. Then I went to Target once we got home and bought my nursing bras (my milk really came in on day 4). I bought the tank tops which I wore under shirts and sweaters but I don't have a very large bust so not sure how much support you would need. I actually bought one tank top at first but ended up liking it more than the bras and going back to buy 4 more. Maybe buy one or two styles and see what you like best before committing to buying a few more of that style. I wore lots of button down shirts and cardigans, too, because I found it awkward to lift my top up to my chin to try and nurse.
    MaryMW

Answer by MaryMW at 3:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I did the same thing as MaryMW, I went to target after my milk came in and bought those tank tops and just wore them under shirts. The nursing bras cut into me too much. My breasts are D's and they gave me support so I think it will work for you too.
    Sarahbeth7

Answer by Sarahbeth7 at 3:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I would get a basic cheap one for now... Just because it's easier to nurse your baby...I found nice ones at Burlington Coat Factory if you have one near by... like $8 for a bra... I bought several of those and then I bought 2 really nice ones that were like $40 each.
    AmiJanell

Answer by AmiJanell at 4:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I hate hate hate the nursing tank tops, they squish my boobs so bad! Granted, I was a D cup pre-pregnancy, so now nursing has given me an E cup and added a number to my band size. I got a 12 dollar nursing bra from motherhood that is stretchy all the way around in a cup size larger than my pre-pregnancy size to take to the hospital with me and it worked really well. It's so comfy, and really not all that ugly considering what most nursing bras look like. Here's a link to the style...

http://www.motherhood.com/Product.asp?Product_Id=917390122&MasterCategory_Id=MC13

rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:26 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i would wait until your milk comes in to purchase a bra..... i use the tank top and i also just use my regular bras, mostly for comfort :) could never find an actually nursing bra that felt right.... i bought mine at wal mart and target
    BabeeOnBoard

Answer by BabeeOnBoard at 5:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2010