Feedings, 2 questions

My son is 3 weeks old tomorow.

I was wondering how much he should be eating? He is eating 4 oz. Is that normal?

Second. Nicolas, loves to sleep. Sometimes I have to wake him up to eat. My doctor said don't let him go more then 4 hours. Other people are saying let him sleep. What is okay to do?

mommycoleyy88

Asked by mommycoleyy88 at 3:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I don't know about the oz because I've never bottle fed. As far as sleeping, I suggest waking him up during the day and letting him sleep as long as he wants at night.
    mybella81

Answer by mybella81 at 3:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think at 3 weeks they need to be getting something like 24 -32 oz of formula... I could be off because it's been almost 3 years since my son had formula...

As long as he is still eating every 4 hrs all day long so 6 feedings and gaining weight acceptably it sounds about right. My son slept all the time during the day when he was that little and I had to wake him to eat too so it seems normal to me. Night time was a different story but from what you said I would say he's just fine. :)
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 4:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Oh and definitely don't let him go longer than 4 hours at this point he has a tiny stomach and he needs to be eating that often.
    kfroz0415

Answer by kfroz0415 at 4:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I woke my dd for all feedings until she was 2 months old. They told me to at the hospital, but neglected to tell me that I didn't have to continue after my milk was well established. If you are formula feeding, you can stop waking for night feedings whenever you feel comfortable doing so as long as your baby is healthy and wasn't a low birth weight or premature baby. I would continue to wake for daytime feedings, though, so that a good pattern of day and night is established. 4oz bottles are fine, and it isn't all that important how much is eaten at one time as long as the daily total is in the 24-32oz range.
    rhianna1708

Answer by rhianna1708 at 4:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2010