How do I get my 5 year old to be 'good' at home and school?

My 5 year old has gotten completely out of control with her behavior. She does not listen to us or her teachers. She pinches, scratches, kicks, or hits at least once a week. We have tried talking. We have tried time out. She doesn't watch tv hardly at all. This behavior has manifested since she started school this year. We moved to a new to a year and a half ago and still have no friends, so I think she may be lonely and little sister isn't always enough? Therapy is not an option because we just don't have the money. If anyone has been there and has advice I would truly appreciate it!

luv2mum

Asked by luv2mum at 3:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• Bribery? I would make a reward chart, there are sites on the internet where you can design and print fun ones for free. Put smiley faces on good days and frowny faces on bad days. Tell her that when she accumulates 20 smiley faces she can have some special treat that she wants. Make sure she is very clear that this applies to school too. My son is in Kindergarten, he has a calendar in his folder and his teacher makes a green smiley on the good days and red frownies on the bad day (thankfully we haven't actually seen any of those), but maybe you can work out a system with the teacher so that you know at a glance how the majority of her day went.
    slw123

Answer by slw123 at 12:11 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• Her teacher does the green/yellow/orange/and red faces in a folder that gets brought home daily. Unfortunately we are seeing more of the other colors than green lately. I will try this though. Maybe a cumulative "grading" will get her going right. Thanks =)
    luv2mum

Comment by luv2mum (original poster) at 12:52 PM on Oct. 21, 2010