What's the kindest way to get my 2 year old out of my bed and in his own?

I have a 25 month old son and he is amazing. He has co-slept with my husband and myself since birth, but we are now expecting our next child in mid-March, thus needing to transfer our son to his own bed/bedroom. Does anyone have any advice as to what is the kindest and gentlest way to go about this? I'm heartbroken thinking of him feeling abandoned or scared all by himself in a room. PLEASE HELP!

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Toddlers (1-2)

• I don't think there is a kind way to go about it. Be strong and firm. Don't give in no matter how much he cries. Maybe it would help if you developed a routine such as bath, brush teeth, read a book, sleep, etc. Once he knows what to expect, hopefully it will get easier. Good luck!
    supermomkell

Answer by supermomkell at 10:07 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Put a mattress on the floor in your room and let him sleep on that. Be consistent though.
    mamajody0507

Answer by mamajody0507 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Try buying him a big boy bed, I bought one for my daughter with Dora on it and she loves it! If you uys have a big bedroom, just set the bed up in your room and then when he gets a bit older try moving him in his own room.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 10:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• Well, After giving him a big boy bed...let him help choose the covers and maybe even decorate the room over,
    and make sure there is a night light!
    LexsiesMommy

Answer by LexsiesMommy at 10:32 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i can't believe i'm doing this, but i have to recommend a book: borrow elizabeth pantley's "the no cry sleep solution for toddlers" from the library and follow the steps/suggestions in the middle of the book. it really helped us get my son (who coslept with us from birth until 12 months old) into his own bed.

it took us about a month to get through step 3, but that was when he finally started sleeping in his crib in his room (and not ours!). a month later, he will even fall asleep on his own when i put him down awake.

a routine is probably your best friend, no matter where you want him to sleep.
    mandilovell

Answer by mandilovell at 11:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2008