Has anyone used a sling or carrier for their 3 year old?

We are going on an Alaskan adventure and I'm not sure if my 3 year old will be up for all the walking.

johnnaschim

Asked by johnnaschim at 4:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Preschoolers (3-4)

• I couldn't imagine using one for my 3 year old. That boy gets heavy after awhile, LOL.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:15 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i have not, but i have seen backpacks for kids that size. i would think a carrier would be to hard,but then, my 3 yo is 37 pounds! i am going to assume that since it's alaska, a stroller is out of the question?
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 4:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• no way, my son is too stinkin heavy for me to think about carrying haha let him use his lambourfeeties and take breaks when he needs then, or piggy back rides..
    cassie_kellison

Answer by cassie_kellison at 4:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I used da ergo when we were hiking in yosemite. I saw ppl w heavier kids using a backpack. Looked comfortable. N when it comes to traveling, I prefer da carrier. Works out my glutes.
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 4:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I'm not sure if any of the resorts we will be at will have stroller options. I would just rather have a backup plan in place in case she wants/needs to be carried. Having the support of a sling/carrier is a little better than nothing at all.
    johnnaschim

Comment by johnnaschim (original poster) at 4:25 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My 5 month old kills my back after 20 minutes in his sling. I couldn't imagine a 3 yo in one.
    KairisMama

Answer by KairisMama at 6:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• no way 40lbs!! 10 min max
    charliesmom777

Answer by charliesmom777 at 11:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• well, my suggestion is to leave the 3 year old at home with some responsible care ...that is no an activity for a 3 year old, just like you said...she will not be able to walk the whole time and will not enjoy it and neither will you if you have to carry her the whole time.
    Ladyblue38

Answer by Ladyblue38 at 8:33 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I would wait a few years for this vacation. Do something more geared to young children.
    mompam

Answer by mompam at 3:07 PM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I dont agree with the two above, we did a back packing trip with our 1yr and 3yr old. He loved it! He did walk a bit, and only wanted to be carried after an hour, so we just limited our walking time for him. we had a back carrier for our 4yr old, it was very comfy, but my husband carried him while I had a sling for our 1yr old :)
    ThaSs

Answer by ThaSs at 3:54 PM on Oct. 21, 2010