my 5 yr old daughter comes home from school today

with a note from the nurse showing that she failed her hearing screening they do at school. I really dont see how she can pass one year and then fail the next but who knows. It stated that they will perform another test again later and will sent a letter home. Should I go ahead and just take her myslef and get it tested or wait it out?? any suggestins

jbond83

Asked by jbond83 at 4:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I'd wait. I've had the same thing happen to me. My four year old daughter "failed" the hearing screening. I took her to the doctor and she failed there too. Come to find out after the nurse talked to her, she could hear the beeps, but wasn't raising her hand like they told her to. It's hard doing those test on younger kids. Even though my oldest son (7 yrs old) has never failed a screening, I took him to the doctor to be tested, because it seems like he's been having a hard time hearing me. Doctor said everything looked normal and fine, and that my son was probably having "selective" hearing. LOL

Does you daughter show any signs to you that she can't hear well?
    akmccarty

Answer by akmccarty at 4:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I'd just go to an audiologist

Answer by butterflyblue19 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I would take her myself.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 4:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• personally, unless your insuance covers it, i would wait. that, and if she is showing no problems. when they do tose things at the school, they do have the best intentions, but they run them through like cattle! could be any number of things that contributed to her not passing.
    itzmyzoo

Answer by itzmyzoo at 4:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• The settings at school aren't always ideal, she could have been distracted. I'd wait and let them retest unless she's showing signs of having problems hearing you at home and the teacher at school.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 4:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Those tests are soo silly, because you're sitting in a room with all of your classmates and it's sometimes hard to hear those beeps. If they still do it that way. I would just take her to her doctor and have him perform the test.
    JazzlikeMraz

Answer by JazzlikeMraz at 4:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I'm an interpreter for the deaf... I'd say if she seems to be having trouble (either at home or school) take her in. If not wait. I failed them everytime in school because I had tubes that left holes in my eardrums and the way the test is set up it doesn't accomodate that. BUT... the sooner you can figure it out the better. They usually wait a week or two (which is all I would wait as a parent) because having fluid in the ear (from swimming to a mild ear infection) can give you a false result. Usually the "water" will either become infected or clear in that time so the retest will tell you.
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 4:37 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• You can pass one year and fail the next. There are several hearing problems that are progressive. The ear itself looks normal (if a doc looks in it) its not inflamed and is formed correctly. They tend to be issues with the part of the ear that registers sound (the shell shaped part of the inner ear). It has little "hairs" (nerves) that can be damage or die from environmental factors (loud noises, trauma ~think about air traffic guys with the huge head phones) or biological (they were always gonna die slowly) and she finally hit enough damage to register on the test.
    terpmama

Answer by terpmama at 4:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• If she appears to be having problems hearing, then I'd take her in. Do you notice her ignoring people when they speak, especially if she can't see them? In a school setting, it's hardly ideal for a "beep" test, especially on a child that young. She may have misunderstood the directions, not been able to hear the beeps over other noises, or simply been distracted.

Try playing a parroting game with her, where you have her repeat what you say. Give her common words, like "cookbook", etc. As you test her, try to subtly do other things so you're not facing her all the time. I have partial mid-range hearing loss and tinnitus, and I can pass a tonal hearing test with flying colors. But if you give me a word test, my hearing loss is immediately apparent. If I can't see your face - I can't differentiate between certain sounds.
    geminilove

Answer by geminilove at 5:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Me nor her family have ever noticed her having any hearing problems. Think I will just wait for them to retest her again and then go from there.
    jbond83

Comment by jbond83 (original poster) at 6:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2010