how do you un-co-sleep?

i am interested in co-sleeping, however, i am worried about the transition from my bed to their room... how long is it "safe" to co-sleep? and how do you get your bed back?

ellokatie

Asked by ellokatie at 4:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• I did it until my son was 5. We really didn't have room for him to be elsewhere until then. At 5, he went to his own room and bed just fine. No issues.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• my son is eight and he still sleeps with me i feel that as long as he wants to he can one day he will want nothing to do with me my girls both slept with me until they were about six but they sleep together still at 14 and 11 even thoe have own beds think its security i dont like to sleep alone either
    mammababyj

Answer by mammababyj at 4:26 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I don't think I would ever SOLEY cosleep past maybe the first 3 months...I have no problems with it or anything...I think it's a beautiful thing. I just know my friend that did that and had a HORRIBLE time getting her baby used to a crib. And the problem is more than anything, that you can't get good quality sleep every night without being constantly "half awake" trying to be conscious of where your baby is. Then, when they get older like my son (toddler) they're rolling all over the place and kicking you in the head in the middle of the night! Hahahahaha!

Really, I think it's great if you try it...I guess it just wasn't for me! Lol :)

crystalbean2

Answer by crystalbean2 at 4:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• http://www.nd.edu/~jmckenn1/lab/faq.html
    Read this. Its a good article
    Vero0724

Answer by Vero0724 at 4:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Parents tending to their newborn baby beside the bed in an Arms Reach BassinetThese are great if you don't want baby actually in the bed.

BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I don't think co-sleeping is safe. I had my kids sleep in a pack in play in our room, until I felt comfortable letting them sleep in their own room.

Hope this helps a bit.
    mommy2joeynabby

Answer by mommy2joeynabby at 4:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Co-slept exclusively to eight months, then part-time for a bit after that. No transition issues; for me it was easier to end the night co-sleeping after nursing.

There is a GREAT article on drjaygordon.com on how to transition... search the site for "sleep pattern."

Answer by gdiamante at 4:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• We transitioned slowly. From our bed to a mattress on the bedroom floor, then into her own bed in her own room when she was about 2 years old. I start out each night in my own bed and if she needs me I lay down in her bed. I have found that the older she gets the less she wakes and needs me. Night-weaning made a big difference. She started to sleep through the night occasionally. But I didn't force it upon her before she was ready just so I could get more sleep. She's growing out of co-sleeping on her own without me forcing it on her.
    DunnH

Answer by DunnH at 4:48 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• we use a bassinett until 4 monthes old, and then ove them to their own crib! Co-sleeping is BAD for a relationship, and for the baby! I personally ind it weird and creepy! I happen to enjoy my time in MY bed with my husband without haveing 5 kids next to us!
    JoLee12345

Answer by JoLee12345 at 5:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i am considering the pack-n-play in the room next to the bed as an option as well. i appreciate all the feedback! :) and the web articles have been helpful as well! thanks ladies!
    ellokatie

Comment by ellokatie (original poster) at 5:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2010