Chatholics ?????

I'm sorry if I offend any Catholics, but I truly do not believe a priest or Monsignor can forgive you of your sin's.People use as an excuse to do wrong! If I can in a box and tell a priest I was drunk all week. He tells me say three hail Marys and move on...your forgiven. Men does not have the ability to forgive your sins

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 4:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Religion & Beliefs

• I agree. I think we are to confess our sins but not to man. We can speak directly to Jesus without going thru a priest. I think it is an accountability thing. They know Jesus is doing the forgiving but it gets it off their chest to confess to a human. I was raised in a Catholic school and I think Catholics are great people just they just have alot of traditions that people dont understand.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:32 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I dont think they use it as an excuse to do wrong. We know Jesus is going to forgive so we dont go out and do bad knowing we will be forgiven. In the same way Catholics dont go do wrong knowing they can just confess. It takes alot of guts to sit in there and tell someone what you have done wrong. Its more embarrassing then secretly just telling it in prayer.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Wonder if you'd be as matter of fact about a question stating that all the protestants are doing it wrong?
    NotPanicking

Answer by NotPanicking at 4:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• hmm. for a second, i thought 'chatholics' was a new denomination.
    dullscissors

Answer by dullscissors at 4:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Jesus had 12 Apostles but hundreds (thousands?) of disciples. Jesus gave His Apostles (not disciples) power and authority to reconcile us to the Father when He said, "Receive the Holy Spirit. Whose sins you forgive are forgiven them, and whose sins you retain are retained" (John 20:22–23). The only way for the Apostles to know which to retain and which to forgive is to forgive the sins told to them.  In the early years of Christianity we see that Paul wrote of the Ministry (or Sacrament) of Reconciliation, "all this is from God, who has reconciled us to himself through Christ and given us the ministry of reconciliation" (2 Cor. 5:18–20).

flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 5:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• (continued) Sometimes on our journey toward the heavenly promised land we stumble and fall into sin. Through confession to a priest, God’s ministers and the successors of the Apostles, we have our sins forgiven, and we receive grace to help us resist future temptations.
    flatlanderjenn

Answer by flatlanderjenn at 5:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I agree with you and have wondered this myself. I know that I only have to confess to God and my sin is forgiven and forgotten. However, I don't think the practice will "hurt" the Catholics. If it makes them feel better then so be it.
    kittieashy

Answer by kittieashy at 6:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• As a catholic I can tell you that isn't how it works. You have to repent to God and be sorry for your sins, God knows whats in your heart for there is no tricking God. You should stop reading your church bulletins about catholics because it's extremely biased and just plain wrong.

Confession is meant to be a cathartic and introspective experience because you spend time reflecting on your sins before confession.  The Pope also goes to confession, it''s about humbling yourself and admitting that you have made mistakes and that you fully intend to make ameands and do better.  Going to confession is up to the individual but it can be really healing. 

RyansMom001

Answer by RyansMom001 at 7:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Wouldn't this be more appropriate in the debate section?

FlatlanderJenn and RyansMom said it well. I have nothing to add.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Also, even if you don't think well of priests, James tells us to confess our sins to one another so that we may be healed...so we are supposed to confess our sins to somebody.
    Iamgr8teful

Answer by Iamgr8teful at 10:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2010