Why do so many women let men slide on child support?

I am just wondering why? Why don't you hold them responsible shouldn't they have to help provide for their child? Don't you feel like it is your childs right ?

abellvalerie

Asked by abellvalerie at 10:03 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in General Parenting

• Do you have statistics showing that men go without paying it? do you know someone that does that? because a lot of women DO TRY to force it on the men, but it takes a LOT of time, my mom didnt hear anything for years and years.. about 7 years after she tried enforcing them to garnish wages etc. so idk what you are referring to or if your just assuming that majority of women DONT try to get it.
    Anonymous

• I don't think this is so easy to answer. Depends on their situation I guess. My sister lets her ex slide and I don't understand for the life of my why?! He may see my nephew 5 times a yr and pays $80.00 a month and he is now a police officer. Before he became a cop she was lucky to 10.00. I'm able to nag her more about it than my mother though. I try to tell her that it's not for her but for her son.
    Christinemg0813

Answer by Christinemg0813 at 10:09 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I did not say all and I never said majority. I hear it here all the time they don't want to go after the dad for child support for a number of reasons mostly they don't want to upset their babies dads I am not talking about women who fight and fight to get support for their kids and I am not trying to upset or disrespect anyone I just want to understand Why?
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 10:14 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• we dont have any papers he doesnt want to see our son i dont want a thing to do with him sowhy keep that window open he doesnt care where we are and i dont care to tel him his mother talks to her grandchild but she still says he wants nothing to do with him and i dont care i got the only thing i would ever want from him
    Anonymous

• I dont go after child support because I have a restraining order on her father. I am scrared of him. I do not want to go after him, and possibly upset him - which would be a bad situation for me and my child. I also want NOTHING to do with him. I hope that neither of us ever has to see him. She has never met her father. I agree with PP that I dont wnat to open a window for him to get to see his daughter. He is a bad man and does not deserve to. Id rather be struggling than bring him into our lives.
    Anonymous

• 8:44 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 by: Anonymous
    This I understand I would do they same for the protction of my child
    I will give an example a girl on here is working and going to school preg. but does not want to go after dad because he is in school and struggling I was like and you are not struggling this is what I don't get
    I understand the dads that are a danger either to you or your child but the other I don't get
    abellvalerie

Answer by abellvalerie at 10:57 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I let my x slide on child support. He wasn't a great father, and spent very little time with our son. He was doing some kind of drugs and drinking all the time, he was in and out of jail. I decided I'd just let the child support issue go. I was never going to get it anyway, and he'd just spend more time in jail. I just wanted him out of our lives. Now my son is 18, and his "father" is in jail again. He still doesn't see our son very often, and rarely calls him. He has given him about $10 in the past year. I'm thankful that my son sees him for how he really is, and doesn't blame me at all for trying to keep his father out of his life.
    robinann5

Answer by robinann5 at 12:47 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• maybe some men have different situations other than being dead beat dads..like my husband..my step sons mother doesnt make him pay at all..theres no courts involved..they're really good friends and he sees his son. not all fathers are assholes and have to pay child support.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:22 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• also, as long as the father is paying child support, the mother legally Has to let the father see the child....so for the really abusive scary ones, i totally understand why the moms dont go for it.
    tnteaton

Answer by tnteaton at 3:25 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• In Ohio if you apply for any kind of welfare they make you go after the Dad for support...as a matter of fact they do it for you.
    Having said that, my ex took a powder chose not to contest the divorce and quit his job. Works under the table and there is nothing I can do about it...eventually it will catch up with him and they will toss him in jail...but what good does that do my children? It is not as simple as you think.
    salexander

Answer by salexander at 2:14 PM on Oct. 29, 2008