how can i get my kids to love to read?

Georgiamama28

Asked by Georgiamama28 at 4:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in General Parenting

• Let them see you reading. Find books on subjects they love. Even if it is a comic book.
    BradenIsMySon

Answer by BradenIsMySon at 4:41 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• read to them every day, take them to the library to pick out books that look cool to them
    elizabiza

Answer by elizabiza at 4:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Read to them alot. Have reading time at home. I like to lay in bed with my dd and she will read a page I will read a page. We laugh together and discuss the story. Its alot of fun. Just make reading a regular thing and help them find books they like.
    ria7

Answer by ria7 at 4:44 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Go to the library and let them pick out the books. Nothing too long and then when they bring them home you can spend time with them while they are trying to read. Just set aside half hour each time for some quite time to read and no distractions. And if it's hard to do at home then go to the library and let them sit there. 

musicmom08

Answer by musicmom08 at 4:47 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I agree. Let them see you reading. Have lots of books available. Visit the library. Let them choose books that interest them. Offer to read to them frequently. Make reading a fun, quiet, cuddle time.
    DunnH

Answer by DunnH at 4:55 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• read to them, every day. My son is 4 and LOVES his books. i read to him before he was born, we read almost every night!
    dustinsmom1

Answer by dustinsmom1 at 4:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• By reading to them, by reading with them, by letting them read to you, by letting them see you reading, by visiting the library regularly, by buying books for gifts, etc.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2010