Would you request a classroom change?

My 3rd grader has issues with loud noises. She has no medical diagnosis for it because we just assumed she just doesn't like them.

Her teacher this year blows a whistle in class to get the kids attention and yells a lot. It really bothers my dd to the point that she comes home quite upset a few days a week.

DD has requested to change classes. WWYD? How would you talk to the teacher about other ways to get the kids attention without the loud noises. Her teachers in the past have used clapping and that doesn't seem to bother dd.

luvsmygirls77

Asked by luvsmygirls77 at 5:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in School-Age Kids (5-8)

• I think I would talk more with your daughter about dealing with things and situations that we do not like. Unless you would like to get her actually diagnosed I would not bring it to the schools attention.
    Melbornj

Answer by Melbornj at 5:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I had a problem with my 3rd grade teacher publicly humiliating me daily to the point where I would throw up every morning before school. My mom went in a talked to her, explained that I was anxious, and the next day the teacher told the whole class. I was moved out of her class soon after. My point is, I would just request the change. Talking to the teacher sometimes makes things worse for the child.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 5:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It is obviously affecting her, so I wouldn't let it go.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 5:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I would request a meeting with the teacher and principle. TEll them your concerns and then ask what they plan on doing about it. Blowing a whistle in a classroom is NOT a good idea. The decibles could mess up ears. I cant believe that is even allowed.
    mistynights234

Answer by mistynights234 at 5:15 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Have you talked to the teacher? Has your child indicated this issue to the teacher? Unfortunately, there is usually a process you have to go thru. While many years ago, a change may have been made right away, so many parents request changes for goofy reasons that typically a school will not grant a request for a change unless there has been some type of failed communication between the parent and a teacher.
    Just tell the teacher that you daughter has mentioned several time that the whistle bothers her and ask her if there some way to work something out.
    Also, it might be a good idea to see WHY the noises bother her. She might have some sort of sensory issue. If she does, you might be able to get it addressed. This could be an issue through out her life and if it is some sort of condition, she needs to learn some skills to deal with it.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 5:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• No, I would not. There will likely be many things throughout school (and throughout life) that she will not like and will need to adjust to. This is a teachable moment.
    aliceinalgonac

Answer by aliceinalgonac at 7:21 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• a whistle would hurt my ears, much less a kids ears! That shouldnt be allowed in a school, period. I would ask the teacher to try something else.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 7:24 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• As a teacher, I can tell you that the school will most likely do what you, the parent, wants. It was long ago that kids were not moved just for anything and they were forced to "suck it up." Parents hold the reigns now, so tell them you want her switched, if that is indeed what you want.
    CarriePM

Answer by CarriePM at 11:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• CarriePM
    I am a teacher as well, and it is the opposite where I live. years ago we would move kids at parents request, then we started getting too many requests that it was ridiculous. Now we won't move unless there is series of steps taken first.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• And pretty much ALL schools in the county are the same way here.
    layh41407

Answer by layh41407 at 6:24 AM on Oct. 21, 2010