How did you figure out what you were going to name your LO??

LiLJeni

Asked by LiLJeni at 5:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Baby Names

• I came up with both my sons names. They just felt right. My DH had picked out a boy name before we knew our first was a boy, but the more he grew it didn't feel right. So I suggested his name and it was perfect. My second I had a name picked from the beginning, we both loved it, but we wanted to test other ideas. So we had a second name, which is a good name but never felt right. In a way my kids kind of named themselves. Every other name felt really weird, but their names fit perfectly!
    Amelia512

Answer by Amelia512 at 5:29 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• We went through lots and lots of names in baby books... Then we made a list of the 10 names we liked best. Out of those, we vetoed whatever the other one REALLY didn't like, and then decided between the names left. This is for the first name, I already told him the middle name was going to be after my father, no compromise there, heh.

We'll see what happens with this next one (I'm 16 weeks now). First we need to find out the sex :)
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 5:08 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• We were trying to find a short, uncommon, but recognizable name for months. I was wanting to use my mom's maiden name, but she and my grandmother balked. So we were driving up and DH was picking out names from letters in road signs. He picked out out Tess from a welcome to TEnneSSee sign. It stuck!
    anng.atlanta

Answer by anng.atlanta at 5:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My husband and I picked our names that we both liked, but we made a deal that the final decision was his if it was a boy, and mine if it was a girl (he has a family name that we knew would definitely be the middle name if it were a boy). We have a son Noah, and a daughter Rebecca.

Answer by missanc at 5:15 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My DH came up with DD's full name. He saw a movie years ago (we were dating) and liked the name of the lady character and that's been THE. Now, the middle name he picked but I picked the spelling. We made the agreement I pick the name if we had a son and he for a girl. He won! LOL!! DD's name is Jade Kaitlin.
    sku5573

Answer by sku5573 at 5:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Books, books and a few family names :)
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 5:35 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I named my kids after my grandparents. It was something I always planned to do.

earlgrey

Answer by earlgrey at 10:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I knew what I wanted to name my first daughter since I was in the 9th grade (Scarlett Abigail). I was just lucky enough to marry someone who loves the name as much as I do. If she was a boy, her name would've been Brayden Thomas. We found that by looking up names online.

My next child's name will either be Olivia Eindy or Oliver Liam. They are family names. Oliver/Olivia was my FIL's middle name, Eindy was my MIL's middle name and Liam was the last four letters of my grandfather's first name (William).
    poptart0325

Answer by poptart0325 at 8:03 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• His name is the last name of a baseball player. My fiance loved it so much that I started to love it too.
    Shanna84

Answer by Shanna84 at 8:23 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• We were talking about a year before i even got pregnant about names if we ever had a baby. Her name just flew out of my mouth.. Scarlett. He immediately said he loved it. And her middle name is Bella, because of the time I spent in Italy. I will always remember a father coming home to a little girl and as she ran to him he was saying "Bella, Bella!". It was one of those sweet life moments I witnessed. And it means beautiful..
    Mme.Langley

Answer by Mme.Langley at 4:49 PM on Oct. 21, 2010