Shouldn't I be feeling upset, sad, hurt, angry?

For the past 2 years my husband and I have been having some problems. We both love each other and have been trying to work things out. Today, though, we got into an argument. It ended with him telling me that he loves me but he can't be with me right now. He got his stuff and left. I love him, but I am not feeling anything right now. I am not hurt, angry, sad, upset, etc. I mean I feel kind of numb but shouldn't I feel something right now? I haven't cried, I have just gone on like nothing has happened. Does this mean that I don't really care or will it hit me later on?

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 5:15 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Relationships

• In my experience, it will hit you later.
    MeandMyBabes

Answer by MeandMyBabes at 5:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Maybe it means that you were ready for it. I spent years feeling sad, lonely, hurt, scared and when it was finally over I didn't have any of those feelings, it just felt right.
    skittles1108

Answer by skittles1108 at 5:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Sometimes we separate emotionally before we do physically. I've left before and only felt relief, it never hit me later.
    Anonymous

• I totally agree with skittles. It took me 4 years to tell my ex that I wanted a divorce, I went over every detail of why I could or why I couldn't in my head every single day for those 4 years, and did all of the crying I could possibly do. When I filed, I didn't cry and when we walked out of the courtroom two months later, he told me "I thought you'd at least be upset, cry or something" but I knew I was ready for it. I had dealt with the emotions for so long, I was past all of it and ready to move on. Not saying that you're that far gone yet, but maybe you're ready for a break to see if this is what you need and since he said "right now" as opposed to "anymore" it may be that you kind of know it's temporary for now and that might be what you're heart is telling you that you need right now too. Best of luck to you, I hate to see people go through that.
    KimPippin

Answer by KimPippin at 5:56 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I think it's going to hit you later on. Sounds like you are still in shock over everything.

Punky_1981

Answer by Punky_1981 at 6:18 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It may hit you later but that may be in a good way. It may hit you that you are happier without him and better off. I think it's a good sign that you are numb, that means you are not codependent and freaking out cuz you can't live without a man. You go girl!
    JackieGirl007

Answer by JackieGirl007 at 9:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• this could mean that you really wanted this for a long time deep down even though you might not realize it or admit it to your self.
    maya123

Answer by maya123 at 10:53 PM on Oct. 20, 2010