For those that buy real trees?

Do put your up before Thanksgiving and would it last? I say yes my hubby says not so much. It is either then or never though so I was wondering what other people thought.

Melbornj

Asked by Melbornj at 5:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Holidays

• We head out the day after Thanksgiving (Black Friday) to the Christmas Tree farm...pick and cut down our own tree and it lasts well until after New Years as long as you keep it filled with water.
    Queenofscrap

Answer by Queenofscrap at 5:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• We usually put ours up around 2 weeks before Christmas. We live in CT and the heat is always on in the house, drying out the tree. I find that it lasts well for about 3 weeks, so usually am taking it down around Jan 1st.
    kjrn79

Answer by kjrn79 at 6:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• As long as the tree keeps drinking water it might be Okay.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 5:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• It will totaly depend on the type of tree. Some last longer than others. I just dont remember which ones.lol I read a huge thing in the paper last year about trees and thats one thing I rememeber.
    minimo77

Answer by minimo77 at 7:39 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• we get ours the week after thanksgiving and yes it last. if you don't and you go to the farm..all of the trees will be picked over and you will end up paying 50 dollars at walmart or somewhere...when at the farm they are only 15-20
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 5:49 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• We usually go the weekend after Thanksgiving. Cut the bottom off if you don't cut it yourselves, and keep it watered. I've never had a problem, and they do great til at least New Years.
    musicpisces

Answer by musicpisces at 6:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My friend puts hers up usually the weekend after Thanksgiving and keep it watered.
    SpiritedWitch

Answer by SpiritedWitch at 7:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• We normally buy a Fir tree (Douglas or Grand), and we get it the week after Thanksgiving. If you cut it fresh from the farm it will last longer than if you buy one already cut becuase you don't know how long ago that tree was cut. Ours lasts from the last week of November through January 2nd. You have to make sure you water it daily, and get one of the really deep tree stands that holds like 5 gallons of water. It's easier.
    AprilDJC

Answer by AprilDJC at 11:54 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• We get ours like the second weekend in December. We just don't have time before that.
    stressedmomma13

Answer by stressedmomma13 at 1:00 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• That is what I was thinking. I think that it will be fine.
    Melbornj

Comment by Melbornj (original poster) at 5:45 PM on Oct. 20, 2010