All the HELP is welcomed here...Plz...

My dd is getting married (second time) and she has asked me to make the cake.. Now she is doing a cupcake tree for all of the guests (30) but she and her bf would like a small wedding cake so that they can cut and then freeze the top...
My plan is this... a 6 inch and a 4 inch round stack cake... depending on depth of pans, 2 each size... now here is my problem... I love to bake and have done cakes before, but NEVER have I worked with Fondant before...
I can use all the tips and help on using Fondant that anyone can send my way... Is it real hard to use? If I do not use pillars for the cake layers is it still going to work?
I already have the Fondant enough to make 2 -9 in cakes, will this be enough?
Thank you ahead of time for any and all help...
Oh and the wedding is on the 30th of this month so how far ahead should I make the cake?
Thanks...

gmasboy

Asked by gmasboy at 5:50 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Food & Drink

• With fondant, it can be tricky, too hot or too cold (even too humid) can affect it. Is it already pre-rolled fondant that's ready to use? Be careful with rips and tears, don't strain it, go with the flow of it. You might want to buy an extra sheet of it just in case something happens. Before I even attempted to play with fondant, I watched videos on youtube and read a bunch of websites. Use a buttercream (or other frosting, buttercream's the most popular) under the fondant. What kind of tools do you plan on using to smooth it out?

It will work without the pillars. Check out some google images of fondant cakes and maybe get a good idea from there. A couple days before hand should be good for making the cake.

It can be tricky, but as long as you're careful it should come out looking fabulous!!! =) Good luck!
    Nanixh

Answer by Nanixh at 6:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Id make it no sooner or later than 2 days before the wedding. Fondant can be nhard to use, make sure its not VERY cold when you use it but dont heat it up either. Room temp is good.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 5:52 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Is there something special that is needed to roll it out... I have read that I should frost the cakes
    and use that frosting more or less as glue for the Fondant....
    gmasboy

Comment by gmasboy (original poster) at 5:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Yes, you need to do a "crumb" coating of icing in order for the fondant to stick. A rolling pin will suffice for rolling it out. Good luck, it is really hard to work with. Maybe try a practice run on a small round cake just to see how it turns out, that way there isn't any surprises when you make the real one. I'm not sure if you have enough fondant, maybe buy one more tub/block to be sure.
    shanlaree

Answer by shanlaree at 6:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• You can frost it before, but beware that will make it VERY sweet. If you do use frosting use a cream cheese frosting thats not a sweet. You can use a rolling pin, nothing special. My aunt owns a cake shop, so i know some secrets lol
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 6:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Fonsdant can be quite tempermental. Temperature is key..too cold you can't work with it, too warm and it bcomes sticky. If you set on fondant..you need to do a trial run cake. It takes practice. I personally can't stand the taste of the stuff. I helped my Mom work with fondant for several years. After your cakes are filled, stacked and dowels are in place you need to crumb coat the entire thing with white buttercream. It will help the fondant stick. Good Luck.
    GrnEyedGrandma

Answer by GrnEyedGrandma at 6:03 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I would practice a couple of times before the real cake. You do want to frost the cake with buttercream for flavor and to smooth out any lumps or bumps. Also my sister took a few cake decorating classes and the instructor suggested that you freeze the cake before frosting with buttercream and then refreeze and then smooth it out with a hot cake knife.

Good LUCK!
    SleepingBeautee

Answer by SleepingBeautee at 6:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Nanixh--, like I said, this is ALL new to me, but this is what my dd wants... ugh...lol..
    What type of tools do you need... I do have some, but I want to make sure I have the
    right ones for this....
    I have the pre-made/rolled stuff... just before using it or trying to use it... how long should
    I let it become pliable ???

I think I already have a headache on this one...LOL...
    gmasboy

Comment by gmasboy (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Pre rolled does not taste good. You should try making some from scratch.
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 6:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Ok... just watched a video on it... using pre rolled I think I can do this... (I hope) but
    I am also making all of the party trays too for this gathering... so time is going to be
    tight ....
    Is there an easy recipe to make it from scratch? or should I just stick with the pre rolled?
    gmasboy

Comment by gmasboy (original poster) at 6:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2010