How do I get my Mother-In-Law to stop cussing around my daughter?

My mother-in-law has a pretty bad mouth. She cusses A LOT! I have asked her over and over to stop cussing around my daughter who is 8 months old now. My husband thinks I am over reacting- so I am alone on this. I just think it is not good to have that around her. She will pick it up. Oh.. and grandma watches my daughter 3 times a week while I work. HELP

EQsmommy

Asked by EQsmommy at 5:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Babies (0-12 months)

• Find someone else to watch her and limit your contact with your MIL. I wouldn't tolerate it either.
    thatgirl70

Answer by thatgirl70 at 5:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Well, unfortunately since she watches her and she obviously isn't stopping the cussing around your daughter you are going to have to do one of 2 things. Take your daughter someplace else or let it go. And teach your daughter when she DOES (and she will) pick it up that it isn't ok for her to cuss.
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:00 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• she will pick up the bad word only if you make a big deal over this. As she gets older you just change the words,. Like if she said shit, you just say shoot.
    Don't give power to some words.
    gammie

Answer by gammie at 6:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• simple find a new babysitter
    1LovelyAngel

Answer by 1LovelyAngel at 6:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• tell her!
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• This may sound childish, but after you have asked her to stop cussing and have explained to her the negative effects and she still hasn't complied with your rules (your kiddo, your rules) find something that drives her insane, like interrupting, or smacking, and do it in front of her until she calls you out on it, and then explain to her again about the cussing rule. So not only are you putting her in your shoes, if you're like me, the simple, but childish act, will make you smile as well. It's a win win.
    Zara_1418

Answer by Zara_1418 at 6:36 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Tell her she ant be around her unless she uses proper language.
    Coltsmommy2210

Answer by Coltsmommy2210 at 6:51 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Find a new sitter. Youre husband probably grew up around this too therefore it doesnt bother him. I would sit down adn talk with him about it also.
    kjbennett26

Answer by kjbennett26 at 7:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Do what we did, you cant see your grandchild until you get it undercontrol
    KKline

Answer by KKline at 8:57 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• You can't really make her behave. So your best option is finding a new sitter or let her know she won't be around til her child care is up to your standards.
    jus1jess

Answer by jus1jess at 9:34 PM on Oct. 20, 2010