Join the Meeting Place for Moms!
Talk to other moms, share advice, and have fun!

(minimum 6 characters)

Is there anyone who knows about the laws of immigration to the united states?? I need some help..

Ok, so my DH is part Greek but we are both legal American citizens. We would like to get a family friend from Greece to work for us here in the US. I know we, the employers, have to go to the immigration office and send an "invitation" to the "employee". My question is, can we do that if the job we need her for is housekeeping?

Thanks for your help!

Answer Question

Asked by mysevenkids at 5:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

Level 17 (3,547 Credits)
Answers (5)
  • You have to meet certain specifications as a 'sponsor' of the employee. Since she's not a 'skilled professional worker (meaning she's not got a college degree for the field she's working in), religious worker, or a professor, or wealthy immigrant, you might run into some difficulties. You can't just send an invitation to her to come work here, there's a process to it, paperwork that will need to be filled out, applications that will need approval from state and government, you and your spouse will have to have a certain annual income. Not trying to rain on your parade, but there's a lot to it. I'd look up information on the government's immigration website. Even just filing out and getting paperwork for my husband to come legally live in the united states with me and our children is a pain in the @$$.

    Answer by Nanixh at 6:16 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • Thank you, I really want to do it though because we love that girl and she's unhappy in Greece. We want to help her study here and give her opportunities she doesn't have in Greece.. Thank you again!

    Comment by mysevenkids (original poster) at 6:20 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • have you looked into getting her here on a student visa?

    Answer by happy2bmom25 at 6:26 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • Try getting her here on a student visa like happy2bmom25 suggested. Where there's a will, there's a way! The whole process is a pain, but once everything is said and done, she'll be here, and everyone can breathe a sigh of relief. Talk to an immigration lawyer, seriously they are your best bet. It'll cost a little more, but if everyone determined to have her come to the states, it's well worth it.

    Answer by Nanixh at 6:31 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

  • Thank you ladies, I will look into that!

    Comment by mysevenkids (original poster) at 6:42 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

Join CafeMom now to contribute your answer and become part of our community. It's free and takes just a minute.