I don't want to pay. Do you? adult content

I don't want to pay for healthcare of some adults who smokes in New York
I don't want to pay for healthcare of obese adults who live in California
I don't want to pay for healthcare of for alcoholic adults in Texas

These and many more are preventable life choices people make all across this country. They could prevent their health problems. Why do we have to pay more in our premiums, taxes, anything for their choices?
I want to work hard take care of my family. I help my community because I care about my community and want to pay it foward to those in my community. But why should I, in South Dakota have to pay for poor choices made by those in California, Texas, Arizona, and so on? Is that fair?
I give to the child on the news with Leukemia. I care about curing Cancer and Aids. But I don't understand why I have to help pay for someone else to get cheaper healthcare to deal with their preventable choices.

myame

Asked by myame at 5:59 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Politics & Current Events

• I'm w/you sister!
    cheekycherub

Answer by cheekycherub at 6:01 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• i would rather pay for everyone to have equal health care than food benefits..maybe if everyone was healthy they could get there asses to work to pay for food
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:04 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• You guys are harsh..
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 6:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• ..oh yes, and i know my comment does not apply to everyone..lets just add that
    shay1130

Answer by shay1130 at 6:05 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I am SO with you! I would love to hear from someone who doesn't agree with you though...and why....
    kristinashley24

Answer by kristinashley24 at 6:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Why do you not want to help pay for the things you listed but will pay for aids? That is also a life choice. That could have been prevented if they werent doing either drugs or used protection durring sex.

Although I do agree with you. I smoke and I dont think you should have to pay more because I do. I am not to happy with how things are going now with this healthcare thing we got going now. Ugh...
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 6:07 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Not always Shelli. I have a family member who died from Aids because of a blood transfusion in the late 80's.
    myame

Comment by myame (original poster) at 6:09 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• insurance works that way too, you know. premiums may be adjusted for good or bad health markers, but that doesn't mitigate the shared cost of risk.
    autodidact

Answer by autodidact at 6:11 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I did forget about the transfusion thing. I am sorry you lost a family member because of that. But now days there are so many reasons why someone can not give blood. My DH works as an RN and always wants to give blood but he cant because he lived in germany for 6 years because he is an army brat and he hates that. He hates how when he is working he always hears about the lack of blood and yet he cant help with that.
    Shelii

Answer by Shelii at 6:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• autodidact... I don't think many people realize that. I mean you're paying for health insurance but don't use it- where do they think that money goes? Into a special, personal account only for your personal use?

IhartU

Answer by IhartU at 6:14 PM on Oct. 20, 2010