Have you ever made a budget?

I am trying to move, and i am trying to get my boyfriend on a budget how can i do this?
(btw i am working two jobs and atm he is unemployed)

sophiasheilamom

Asked by sophiasheilamom at 6:02 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Money & Work

• Tell him "Im employeed, your not. This is the budget, we can change it around when you get a job"
    mommyofAurora

Answer by mommyofAurora at 6:06 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Do not give him access to your money.

Answer by louise2 at 6:13 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Write down every penny you spend.........rent, all utilities, food, cups of coffee, movie rentals, everything!! Then you can see where your money goes. Then you have to make sure you can pay the things that are "musts" and see if anything is left. Try to start saving an emergency fund which should be 6-8 months living expenses. Once he gets a job you can also start to save for things you might need like appliances, whatever. Put him on an allowance while he is unemployed. You both should be on allowances in order to save.
    elizabr

Answer by elizabr at 7:43 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• We budget every dollar we have every month.
    SherriPie

Answer by SherriPie at 10:26 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• We budget every dollar. Bills, expenses are wrote down with exact amounts.
    Mom2Just1

Answer by Mom2Just1 at 11:23 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Get his input. He is part of the family and you guys are a couple. You might bring in the money, but both of you have to agree on where to spend it. Start with necessities, food, utilities, rent/mortgage, insurance, fuel, car payments, then things like cable, cell phones, eating out, credit cards, and other debt.

Have him look it over and change something on it. That way he doesn't say "Gee this is great honey," and then later blow the budget. If he has to change something he has to actually look at the budget.

Also cut up the credit cards and hide the debit cards. Start using cash for the purchases that you make in person. We put ours in envelopes labeled "Groceries" or "clothes" depending on what we're spending money on. That way when the money for that specific category is gone, it's gone. We can't spend more and both of us know that without checking in with the other.

Good luck!
    *Most the advice is from Dave Ramsey.
    Erica_Smerica

Answer by Erica_Smerica at 11:27 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• What Elizabr said, above.
    Track your money, every bit of it, and cut out the fat.
    (if he's part of the fat, either cut him out, or put him on a 'diet', lol)
    LadyCash

Answer by LadyCash at 2:05 AM on Oct. 21, 2010

• I have personally never been good at a formal budget. We did, unfortunately, have to go through bankruptcy and losing our home to foreclosure - both in the past 10 years. Husband would never stick to a budget either. So, after the bankruptcy, we said "no more credit cards" and stuck to it - living on a "cash basis". Started 12 years ago when the money problems started (I got really sick and could not work much, if at all). Cut out everything that could not be paid for with one income. We were doing well with that when a crooked bank bought our mortgage and told us we were late with the very first payment after they bought it (and we were not). Fought with that for 4 years before we lost the battle - back then though, the banks did want your house because they could make money on it - they made $100,000 over what we really owed and we actually got paid another $50,000 over that. But, we now live on a cash basis - cont..
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 6:27 AM on Oct. 22, 2010

• sorry so long !!! We live on a cash basis - if we don't have the cash in our pocket (or bank account), we don't buy it. We do have to save for things (like husband needs a new car sometime soon since his has over 250,000 miles on it !), but pretty much since we liv e this way, we almost always have the money for what we want to buy. We also are practical about what we spend money on - I take a couple of days to think about something before I even go out and price compare - then I check out places like SalvationArmy or GoodWill to see if they might have what I am looking for. I do buy new if I want to fopr something in particular, but I always looks for a bargain if I can !!
    JustMyOpinion22

Answer by JustMyOpinion22 at 6:31 AM on Oct. 22, 2010