Have you used a mouth guard for teeth grinding?

I had some dental work done (old fillings replaced) 2 weeks ago and since then, I have had a very sore mouth and it's sensitive to hot & cold. Dentist seems to think I have been clenching my teeth at night and recommended a mouth guard. I'm curious if they work and if so, will the pain stop?

MomW773

Asked by MomW773 at 6:22 PM on Oct. 20, 2010 in Health

• I haven't, but I made my fiance get one, since he grinds his teeth in his sleep and it drives me insane... It didn't help though, he'd put it in, and as soon as he fell asleep, he'd spit it out :|
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:26 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I did for clenching my teeth and I found out that I grind my teeth because I wore a hole in it after a year lol. I found it really helpful! I had/have jaw issues and love the mouth guard. (My mouth guard was made by my dentist not one of those over the counter ones)
    MamaSarah1104

Answer by MamaSarah1104 at 6:30 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My oral surgeon made mine. Not sure how costly it was tho. I had a wreck and went thru alot of appts and a surgery and etc etc etc. it worked good bc i am a bad grinder myself. but ti doesnt fit anymore. Had 2 teeth pulled and they shifted. The mouth guards over the counter are made of rubber probably. The ones a dentist makes is hard plastic that is sculpted to fit your own mouth. good luck
    jbond83

Answer by jbond83 at 6:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• I used to grind my teeth in my sleep. I was getting terrible earaches every day. The doctor finally realized it was from teeth grinding. I wear a bite guard at night. VOILA! no more earaches! I've actually ground through a couple of those little buggers.
    plclemo

Answer by plclemo at 6:40 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• For the record, my fiance's mouth guard was one made by the dentist too, he still managed to spit it out somehow. I really wish it would have worked, because it honestly wakes me up several times a night, sigh.
    Anouck

Answer by Anouck at 6:51 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Thanks ladies! My dentist mentioned making me a mouth guard when I was there today, but I am still waiting to find out how much my insurance is going to cover for the 5 fillings I had replaced 2 weeks ago. I don't want to get more extensive work done yet, until I know how much I will have to pay on that, and I can imagine having the dentist make one will not be cheap. So, I am going to try a store bought mouth guard. I don't even know if I am clenching my teeth at night, that's just what my doctor thinks is causing my toothaches and sensitivity. I had no issues with my mouth at all, until I had the work done 2 weeks ago. My dentist seems to think that at night, my brain subconsciously tries to fit my teeth together and that is why I am clenching. I have been back 3 times to have him adjust the fillings, but that doesn't seem to be helping.
    MomW773

Comment by MomW773 (original poster) at 7:19 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• My husband has worn one at night for a couple of years, and it's been great. No more grinding, no more pain or headaches.
    JulieJacobKyle

Answer by JulieJacobKyle at 7:58 PM on Oct. 20, 2010

• Based on the customer feedback from a drugstore where I used to work, Dentek has the BEST mouth guard available for over the counter.
    _Tam_

Answer by _Tam_ at 9:25 AM on Oct. 21, 2010