Pillow.....

My son is 6 months old and when h takes naps during the day it's on a pallet in the livingroom and he has a thin pillow. He even goes to that pillow when he gets tired and lays his head on it and rubs his face around. I do NOT put a pillow in his bed at night. My question is How old are they before you can put a pillow in thier bed? I ask b/c I am wondering if he will sleep better. By the way he does take naps in his bed too...no pillow tho.

Anonymous

Asked by Anonymous at 10:17 PM on Oct. 28, 2008 in Babies (0-12 months)

• I say if he can roll over on his own, then u can pretty much use a pillow or blanket. my son always used a blanket in the bed since he was born..and since he was 6 mths he liked to cuddle with it.

so i hope this helps.
    JaydnsMom22

Answer by JaydnsMom22 at 10:25 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• i personally think that if YOU are comfortable with doing something and not worried at all about it...then it's fine...but they say some off the wall crap that you "shouldn't do" but I've done a lot of these things and my daughter is perfectly healthy..it's a mom's decision, no one else's.
    SummersMamma

Answer by SummersMamma at 10:26 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I would think he would be safe if he is able to swat thngs away from his face. I play peek a boo with my son by placing a blanket over him and he is learning to grab it and pull it down.
    gwood

Answer by gwood at 10:27 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I have an evil pediatritian that told me awful HORROR stories about babies dying, when I (stupidly) let it be known that he liked to sleep on his belly, at his 1 month appt. So that's really my only pause! Thank ya'll
    Anonymous

• Well, I think it depends on how you know your child. For example- my oldest daughter rolls all over the place while she sleeps, she flip flops all over the place! I didn't let her have a pillow till she was about 2 and a half. Now, my youngest is the clamest sleeper and she will be two in December- I let her have a pillow about 3 months ago. She has done fine with it. I check on the both of them at least 4 times a night though. Good luck deciding.
    BabyBeans0506

Answer by BabyBeans0506 at 11:05 PM on Oct. 28, 2008

• I'd wait til closer to 10-11m. I think size and thickness all will play a factor because of crib bars, .BUT I co sleep with my children & just let my 7 1/2 m old use 1 yesterday. He slept 2 hrs longer than normal.
    (4 hrs straight) I think it helped w/ reflux being propped a bit higher.
    nightowlmama4

Answer by nightowlmama4 at 12:02 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I thought my DD was old enough to sleep with a pillow in her crib. (she has reflux and it is helpful) BUT the other day I found her (nap time) with her face under the pillow...SoOOOO, no pillow. NOTE:::she moves around now without a problem, but she was sound asleep. It scared me!
    mamadetresbbg

Answer by mamadetresbbg at 8:31 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• I think you are the best judge of whether or not your LO is ready to use a pillow. If he uses one napping in the floor, I don't see much of a difference when he's in the bed. I'd make it a personal call rather than one for the doc. I think they recommend the child be at least two or three.
    nytefae

Answer by nytefae at 9:17 AM on Oct. 29, 2008

• my son has been using a pillow since the day he came home from the hospital. that may be cause we co sleep. although he is now 4 months and does sleep in his crib at least most of the night it is with a pillow. it just depends on what u feel comfy with.
    msnichole

Answer by msnichole at 4:58 PM on Oct. 29, 2008